Hello from the Black Country.

Gaz

Hi,

I'm looking forward to learning a lot from these forums! and I also signed up because I needed an outlet for my excitement at just seeing Jupiter's moons - my wife's "Very nice dear" just doesn't do it ;)

I was always "sort of" interested in Astronomy, I had read a couple of books etc, and always thought i'd like to learn more.

Then couple of years ago I made the classic mistake of just going out and buying a telescope on a whim. (Celestron Nexstar 130 SLT) I set it up one night and without really knowing what I was doing started pointing it at random points of light and finding that when I looked through it i saw, well pretty much the same thing...just random points of light, looking pretty much the same.

It went in the loft after that, but my interest in astronomy has steadily grown and I have read a lot more, listened to Astronomy Podcasts and learned my way around the constellations (In a very basic way)

I also invested in a pair of 20 x 80 Binoculars and found the night sky much more accessible with these.

I got the scope back out of the loft recently, and tonight, after spotting Jupiter during a break into the clouds I quickly set it up and got a decent view of the planet and to my delight what I think were all four Galilean moons. My hair stood on end when I saw these and I would have spent hours out there but the clouds quickly came in.

I now feel much better equipped to use the scope properly (I don't think i'll use the goto function)

I wish I had seen these forums a couple of years ago! There is many a post on here advising people not to just dash out and buy a scope...I can only agree with these. Learn a bit about the sky first, it has certainly helped in my case.

I'm just itching now for the opportunity to get the scope out again!! :p

Archived