Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Anyone know anything about FLO?

i have made up my mind that i am going to buy this Reflectors - Skywatcher Explorer 200P EQ5

i have decided to also buy it from the website recommened from alot of users on this forumn. now, i was wondering if there is a way i can get some discount ;). like a voucher code or anything? i want to save some money and buy eye peices too.

could you also tell me your thoughts about this telescope.

i have read on interenet people always say this is a good beginner scope. i may be a beginner, but when i hear the word "beginner" to descripe a certain product i always think its going to be a little bit **** and cery limited.

is this true with this scope or am i wrong?

thanks for your answers.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Although I'm not in the market for a scope just yet, I've still been looking around for future reference and the 200P is the one that has caught my eye the most so far. Sky at night magazine did a review of it which seems very favourable.

Sky-Watcher Explorer-200P (EQ5) | Sky at Night Magazine

It would be nice to here some first hand accounts from 'real' people though.

95% of the stuff I have bought is from FLO, except a couple of eyepieces that they don't stock. Highly recommended astro seller.

I don't know about the discount code, I didn't know there was one! Doesn't matter though, as they seem a little cheaper than most other suppliers.

As for the scope - yep it is a good one. Many people start with a scope like this, although the dobsonian mounted version is also popular.

Hi Raju

Don't know about scopes I'm afraid but reading as much as I can in preperation for getting mine. I did get my 15x70 Bins from FLO a couple of weeks back however which arrived next day and in perfect condition - am well chuffed and will definateley use them when I can afford the "scope plunge".

Hopefully the 200P:)!!

From what I hear the scope is good and the aperture of 8" lifts it out of the true beginner size. Though to be honest, Skywatcher are a well respected manufacturer that produce good scopes that do what they say on the tin.

As David has said, no discount on Skywatcher products which is fine to be honest as they are made to a fair price.

James

Raju, an 8" reflector is a serious piece of kit and very capable of giving good deepsky and planetary performance. My 8" Skywatcher Newtonian outperformed a premium 5" APO. It is way more then a beginners scope. You can buy with confidence from FLO. Check out the sketching forum to see what can be seen through 8" Newts.

Digressing abit , I left 3 messages for a call back from FLO and none were ever forthcoming so I spent the best part of £2k at Rother Valley Optics today.

Digressing abit , I left 3 messages for a call back from FLO and none were ever forthcoming so I spent the best part of £2k at Rother Valley Optics today.

To a degree I have to agree. I've always got the answerphone when ringing FLO, but they did return my call eventually, but it was too late as I had placed my order with Adam at Rother Valley too.

What did you get for your 2K ????

I have the Skywatcher 200P and love it. I wouldn't really describe it as a beginners scope, although I have heard it described that way. I originally bought mine with the EQ5 Synscan Pro, although I have upgraded the mount to the NEQ6 for imaging purposes.

I didn't buy my 200P or EQ5 from FLO at the time because I didn't know about them ... or this site to be honest. But most of what I have bought recently (NEQ6, SW ED80, coma corrector, focal reducer etc), I have bought from FLO and been very, very happy with the service they provide. I have heard that FLO have been difficult to contact by phone sometimes, although personally I have never had that problem. If you are having difficulty reaching them, you could also try emailing them, which seems to automatically log a request in their system. I think they try to turn around logged requests in 24 hours.

i bought from flo good bunch of people bit busy after the star gazing live, they r based in exeter where i live near my sky watcher 200p on eq5 turned up last tuesday got to try it out last nite and this is the first time i have looked through a telescope in 20years and the first thing i managed to view was the orion neb very impressed good scope but how do others polar align when i cant see the polar scope cross or the other thing that can help me align other than that good first night out but will be getting the telard scope with the light up display as very hard to see the cross hairs in the stock 9x50 finder scope dose any 1 else have problems with the stock finder doing out of alinement just got to nudge the finder and thats it dont like just the 2 screws and the sprung bolt or is it just me:iamwithstupid:

Check out SPA membership, they advertise discounts from most of the well known shops. Although i confirm FLO don't discount Skywatcher kit. Mainly cos their prices are already less than most of the other stores.

The Society for Popular Astronomy

£16 membership, which can take a couple of weeks or so to come through via snail mail.

Hi,

The staff at FLO are very helpful, and if you call or email them before ordering they will advise the right product for you. Delivery is very quick.

I now buy virtually all my accessories from them.

Telescope prices are the best. I recently purchased my c9.25 and NEQ6PRO from them....price was not beaten by any other supplier Give them a call before trying others

Philip

I recently enquired at FLO about (expensive to me) eyepieces. Which are of course as much a personal preference choice as a technical merit choice.

Without hesitation, or me asking, they made an offer I couldn't refuse.

If I didn't like what I bought, I could send it back for refund.

What more can you ask from a supplier?

I've bought a fair bit of kit from FLO and always had great service, I guess they've been really busy recently 'cos of the pesky BBC showing 'that' program:) , although I doubt they're complaining if business is up!

My first 'proper scope was / is stil a 200P, but now it's been converted to use a Dobsonion mount and had quite a few other upgrades! Fantastic scope, one I will probably never sell, along with the Tal 100RS which I got last year - another scope i'd recommend to anyone looking to buy a reasonably priced scope that, frankly, preforms far better than it should for the cost..!!

Doc

..any 1 else have problems with the stock finder doing out of alinement just got to nudge the finder and thats it dont like just the 2 screws and the sprung bolt or is it just me:iamwithstupid:

You have got the rubber O ring fitted in the right place I suppose ?.

OK - back to the topic now - I've had nothing but excellent service from FLO. They are a small business and there has been a big rush of interest since the BBC programmes but it is worth persevering because the pre and post sales support you get is superb.

Archived