Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Interest for Autumn Peak District Star Party?

jamespels

Yes, sorry didn't mean to sound unappreciative. I'm a lot more flexible on location if it's not around school holidays as I can get a solo weekend pass. The idea of a Derbyshire star party start of 1/2 term sounde great.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm keen for this too, living in Leek, it'd be a really short trip! It is a bit of a dry spot though for camping/caravaning with stuff for the kids etc. Plenty of dark sites, but when you add the other bits and bobs in, it's a bit more difficult.

There's a camping and caravaning club site in Meerbrook, close to the lazy trout pub and Tittesworth Reservoir (kids park, visitors centre etc) that might be worth a look? Other than that, I can only think of 'roughing it' sites which are a bit les family oriented.

Keeping the Cheshire site on hold for now. For info, it's a great place for a holiday base - nearby attractions (within an hour) include Chester Zoo, Blue Planet aquarium, Churnet Valley stream railway, Jodrell Bank visitor centre and arboretum, various stately homes including Tatton Park, Gauntlet bird of prey centre and more. Knutsford is a lovely town and you can get to Manchester and Liverpool very easily.

Somebody has pointed out how close out is to Manchester Airport so I need to do a bit more digging about flight paths and that may be a killer for the imaging guys and gals.

I'll echo that, it's great that you are trying to get something going. From my side, I was going to travel up to some relatives in Bakewell from down south and come along from there so the original area was what got my interest.

Keep at it though :-) :-)

Cheers

Stu

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

I'd go to Rivendale. It's a super location Right opposite is the cyle trail from Ashbourne to Parsley Hay. There's plenty walking aswell with Buxton and Ashbourne within reach.

Hope that you get something organised, there's plenty folk in the Midlands!

Full runway data sheet here: http://www.manchesterairport.co.uk/manweb.nsf/alldocs/B6F0247D7CBCF65F80257393003585FD/$File/Runway+Data+Sheet+2007-+v+FINAL.pdf

Shows two main departure corridors in the region of the Chesire site; one (HON 1R/Y) is a couple of miles to the west (all types; up to 5000ft) and the other (LIS 1R/Y) is a couple of miles to the east (restricted types; up to 5,000ft). Prevailing winds are from the southwest; if this changes all approaches will be a few miles to the north and these corridors won't apply. The airport is busiest between 6am and 8pm, with a handful of departures through the night.

What this means is skies to the southwest will usually see frequent movements in distinct coridors to (VERY rough calculation) about 30 deg alt. in the evening, and occasional additional movements every few hours after that. Skies to the southeast will see a similar pattern but a lot less traffic. There will be a decent gap due south with no substantial traffic. Also, Manchester is a major routing point for transatlantic flights so there is also a fair degree of high altitude traffic though the same can be said for most of England, now.

I am planning to head to the site at the weekend to get a real feel for the number of flights as this is something I missed on my last visit. I know it is a little further east than I would like, and there is something very nice about a weekend in the hills, but it is a great central location and the skies really are great! To answer a previous question, the A50 is pretty busy in rush hour but that's about it. It runs parallel to the M6 and most heavy traffic takes the motorway.

J

Id be interested in a Derbyshire SP if it didnt clash with Kelling, Cheshire would be out though.

I baby sat 2 of the Peak Star Parties which were at Rivendale on the A515. A good site, filippin cold and exposed, the owner was very welcoming but the staff were a little disorganised at the time due to a new manager and the owner taking more of a back seat. But hopefully they should be OK now. At least if you were to talk about a star party they would know what one was.

I think UKAI did a smaller one there a couple of years back.

Philj

Speaking with Rivendale tomorrow when the relevant person is back in.

Good excuse to head out that way with the dog (four legged one that goes woof, before anyone asks!) at the weekend, too.

Assuming that goes OK, will hopefully announce Rivendale as the location next week...

J.

I totally appreciate your efforts James - well done for taking the initiative! I'd definitely be up for the Derbyshire one but even though I live in Cheshire, I'd take the view that most places in Cheshire would have inferior skies to Peak District or even N Wales. Rivendale sounds perfect to me.

Hi James,

I'm new to all this but I would like to register my interest.

I'm in Stoke so anything in the areas you have already mentioned should be within my travel radius.

will keep an eye on this thread to see how you get on finding a location!

Rob

Hi all,

have a location at last...

Spent today trawling campsites around Ashbourne and Buxton. Fantastic weather for it - I swear I have never seen so much standing water on the roads and if I ever have to wade through another campsite on a wet weekend to see the nice shiny shower block it will be too soon!!! ;).

Starting from the South, Rivendale meets most of the requirements but can only dedicate one small field (tents only) - campers and so on would have to fit in amongst the tourers and seasonals.:)

Newhaven has another rally the same weekend and cannot entertain us - could be a good option for other times though as they would have been able to dedicate a good space. :(

Two other smaller sites looked OK but one was in a bit of a dip with too many trees around - looked lovely but no use for astronomy - and the other needed a good long climb carrying gear to get to the rally field, which had no electricity! ;)

I was nearing Buxton thinking Rivendale would be the best bet when I stumbled across a place I had initially dismissed for being a bit small and too close to town - Shallow Grange Farm. This is not going to be everybody's perfect location (let's face it - nowhere is!) but it ticks a hell of a lot of boxes, the LP form Buxton is almost nonexistent and the owners are willing to shut the site for the weekend for us. It is about 3 miles south of the edge of Buxton with a couple of good hills in between. By the time I left it was quite dark and it obvious that there was very little light glow from Buxton, even against the low cloud. There are almost no villages at all to the south and Ashbourne is miles away so the sky really is very dark indeed.:)

Shallow Grange has 20 pitches with electric hookup and a further 30 without. There is an enormous field to the back of the farm with space for many pitches if they are needed :p. Their website is here... Welcome to Shallow Grange.

Possible downsides:

- the local pub is excellent with fantastic food and well kept ales but it is about a mile and a half away. This is fine for many people to walk (took me about 20 minutes) but clearly not for everyone.

- children of all ages are welcome but there are no specific play areas on the site.

Upsides:

- the pub is a little way away but it really is excellent... :)

- facilities generally very good - flat ground with good disabled access and a really nice shower & toilet block with underfloor heating

- coarse fishing on site for those who are interested

- large barn available for demos, talks, etc. (I have a few things in mind and people provisionally booked)

- loads of things to do nearby - great walking direct from the site; Buxton a ten minute drive; lots of local tourist attractions

- dog friendly (with the usual common-sense rules)

- very dark and happy to disable / put red filters on the few external lights

- owners are happy to extend bookings through half term at the discounted volume rates for people who want to stay on.

- BBQs welcome, again with usual common sense rules. Will consider a hog-roast or similar one night if enough people are interested.

Next things next - Shallow Grange will hold the site for the next few months but want a confirmed booking for 40 pitches by the end of May. If there is not enough interest for this, we can make a smaller booking for the overflow field but this is limited to six electric pickups and some of the bulk booking offers won't count. I cannot afford to sub anything so I need bookings from you! Online form will be available tomorrow.

Also, I will need volunteers to help. Not sure how many yet - this will depend on the number of bookings - but please let me know if you are available and willing to help!

Thanks,

James.

Nice one James, pencil me in... let me know what you want to do re: applications/expressions of interest and deposits?

Just got back from London where I had an astronomy weekend... visited Astrofest and the Royal Observatory... great fun, but good to be back on the forum.

Chat soon,

Hi James,

I've just been alerted to this thread from a member of another (ukai) forum.

It appears that we both have share same idea. Mine was to try to resurrect the now, sadly defunct. PSP or Peak Star Party

Isn't it time for another PSP? (Peak Star Party)

All this was sparked off, by a talk given to my local (Macc As) workshop by John Tanner of the PNP (Peak National Park)

John and his team are trying to get the Peak's, designated dark sky status.

Dark skies

I had the idea if there was enough interest from UKAI members. To try and hold an event around early October, so that it didn't clash with Kelling. And my choice of venue was Rivendale caravan and campsite on the A515 between Buxton and Ashbourne.

This was the site of the first four PSP event's. The skies there are very dark typically m+5.8

Shallow Grange, ticks by box. So you can count me in. I know where it is, having checked it on a map. For me living in Macclesfield, it is easy to get to.

If there is enough support, and if you do get something organised please let me know. I will alert the membership of Macclesfield Astronomical Society to try and get some support, and star party attendees for you.

Do you have a set date yet?

If you don't. Could I tactfully suggest September 28th to October 1st. This falls on the New Moon, and it will still be on the warm side and- above all it shouldn't clash with Kelling.

Good luck. And if you need any help. PM me.

It will be great if, at long last the Peak District National Park, had it's very own star party on a yearly bases.

How much light comes from the quarries near Shallow Grange? If I had not had a drink I would drive out to check. As it is, I will go tomorrow evening to check if you like!

That is a very good question.

From what I read in James report, there doesn't appear to be, to much LP. And I suspect he already knows the Quarry situation, re-lights and light pollution.

I think if this event is officially going to go a head and this looks likely.

Somebody should contact John Tanner of the Peak National Park and get them involved. It would be good publicity and help towards there campaign to see the Dark Sky's over the PNP.

See link below.

Dark skies

How much light comes from the quarries near Shallow Grange? If I had not had a drink I would drive out to check. As it is, I will go tomorrow evening to check if you want

Would be great if you could - thanks! Looked good on saturday but the weather was foul and I must admit, I wasn't particularly checking for the quarries...

Thanks!

Archived