Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Interest for Autumn Peak District Star Party?

jamespels

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello all,

I thought my ears were burning! I've had several emails this morning alerting me to this event. I've replied to James Pels via email to let him know a little more about the Peak District Dark Skies project, and asked him how we can work together (both from the Authority and the Peak District Dark Skies forum). Hopefully we can all work together on this as we were already in the pre-pre-planning stages for a star party later this year. Isn;t it funny how great minds think alike!

On a slightly different note...I'm currently analysing the Orion in the Peak data and hope to release it very soon.

Your ears were burning?! From the number of people who have told me they've e-mailed you, I bet your mail server is getting pretty warm too!

Yes, there were a few emails this morning, all very much appreciated. I'll have a look at the emails you sent earlier and drop you a reply in a bit.

I was thinking about signing up but hoped one of you could give me a little advice first!

I started out in January and I have 1 scope (not very powerful - a 114mm f/9 reflector).

Would it be worth me comming to an event like this for the weekend or should I wait until I have more experiance/gear?

I wondered what someone who has been to one of these events before would generally advise.

Thanks,

Rob

"Would it be worth me comming to an event like this for the weekend"

Absolutely Rob - if you can make it then you have to go - and bring your scope. Not only will you get lots of help and advice using it, but you'll get to make some friends and have a look though some great gear.

These events are just so much fun - you'll love it :(

I started out in January and I have 1 scope (not very powerful - a 114mm f/9 reflector).

Would it be worth me comming to an event like this for the weekend or should I wait until I have more experiance/gear?

Rob

I also started out in late December 2010 and have a 114mm f5 reflector... Hey, I am an 'amateur' amateur astronomer now... I'm hoping to learn loads at this event from fellow gazers.

This is not a flash in the pan hobby for me I know that much... ya gotta start somewhere and if the peeps at the star party are half a friendly as they are on this forum, it will be ace... sign up I'll see you there :(

Once again my question receives instant answers; this place is awesome sauce!

You have convinced me, I will book my place tomorow once I have confirmed its ok with the other half :(

Thanks Brantuk and Patbloke

Heh, I hope it's worth it - I'm only organising it for the free advice!!!

In all honesty, I only started out this year (childhood interest far too long ago became a hobby Christmas just gone when I got a second hand TAL 2M); the few events I have been to at local astro societies convinced me very quickly that social gatherings were the place to learn.

In short, yes it really should be worth it or I am playing my role very badly...

Look forward to seeing you in October!

James.

I know it's only February, and we still have a long way to go. But I am already looking forward to this.

I'd better book the dates, at work today to guarantee I am able to go.

I'm planning on booking for an extra day (Thursday before) is anybody interested in joining me?

Only 34?

I'm assuming there is room for more, if the need arises. I will book, a week on Saturday when it's Pday :(

I hope the PSP is a success, and it can be a yearly event :). I know only too well, how the enthusiasm can wax and wan. And-I think this was the killer for the earlier PSP event's during the 2000s at Rivendale and Greenhills camp-sites. So lets hope it doesn't happen with this one.

Archived