SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

DSO night or what?

sbooder

Hi All,

Well tonight in most of the country could be the best DSO night in about 6 months?

It is meant to be clear skies, no moon (until about 6 AM), little wind and good seeing?

And it’s a Friday!

I think I might watch the telly…NOT!

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'd love to think you're right but then again, as we have guests for dinner tonight this could be another frustrating evening for me if you are!

Do what I do when we have dinner guests, have the scope set up and turn the conversation to Astronomy, bla bla bla...yes I have a scope, would you like to see it, it is outside...if we are lucky we might be able to see Jupiter or a couple of Galaxies!

I do hope so, been a week since I've seen anything but clouds!!!

A WEEK!, you were lucky, I have had 1 hour in the last two months, and when we got home, our Dad would carve us in two with bread knife!

Hi All,

Well tonight in most of the country could be the best DSO night in about 6 months?

It is meant to be clear skies, no moon (until about 6 AM), little wind and good seeing?

And it’s a Friday!

I think I might watch the telly…NOT!

Unfortunately not for us in the South, we still have to wait for a first good night since last summer. :)

A WEEK!, you were lucky, I have had 1 hour in the last two months, and when we got home, our Dad would carve us in two with bread knife!

Your Dad had a carving knife?

We used to dream of having a carving knife. Our old Dad was so poor he used to give us paper cuts with an old newspaper, after working 23 hours down t'pit..........

The last really good night we had in Huddersfield was in October. I've only put a couple of hours in since. Been trying to see Saturn for weeks now but it's always cloudy late morning.

Forecast doesn't look great for tonight, but there could be some decent breaks in parts of the country, fingers crossed.

I hate the weathermen for giving false hope and then dashing it at the last moment.

At the moment, according to the BBC animation, i may get the tiniest clear spell around 6pm this evening while i'm sitting on the train. grrr :)

Fidell's Corollary to Murphy's Law says that it can't work in reverse.

So, if you forget to take an umbrella then it will rain, but taking an umbrella does not assure dry weather.

Similarly, if you have people for dinner (with fava beans and a fine chianti?) the sky will be clear, but if you deliberately invite people for dinner it doesn't guarantee clear skies. Not sure what happens if you invite a load of astronomers for dinner. Your house probably gets struck my lightning or something...

James

I don't trust forecasts any more. I just keep an eye on the satellite pictures here:

Europe SAT24.com, Satellite Weather Europe, Weather Forecast, Rainfall, Clouds, Sun in Europe

There you can see exactly what's coming and how fast.... ;-)

Nice! Much better than the "prediction" given by Metcheck http://www.metcheck.com/V40/UK/HOBBIES/astronomy.asp as 0-1% cloud right now - and using Mk.1 Eyeball its about 90% cloud, so how much faith do I have in the 0% forecast for tonight ;-(

@HantsAstro - I am coming down to Butser tonight - and that usually means 100% cloud !!

metcheck does seem more accarate in some places than others i went to abergavenny before and the weather prediction showed clear and it was cloudy

but the weather for my location now is actually about right theres bright blue sky with a few lazy clouds floating past

Live camera http://81.132.0.127:8083/view/index.shtml and Metcheck Metcheck.com - Global Weather Forecasts - Weather Forecast for LL67 - [updated on 28 January 2011 at 11:00] - Weather Feeds - Live Data - Long Range Weather Forecasts look pretty close at the moment and the temperature is dropping off very quickly lol

I can'r recall what that thing is on the right of the camera though?

Archived