Hi from Burton upon Trent

Mick Smith

Good day to you all. Hope you all had a wonderful New year.

I am as new as they come to astronomy but have always been interested but not got around to it. Finally I have seen the light.

I went to my 1st astronomy group meeting for beginners and really enjoyed it and found it very very interesting.

I,m looking to buy my 1st telescope, maybe a Skywatcher 130P

There are a few on Ebay. At the moment there around £65 mark.To me that sounds ok. Any thoughts.

Hope to hear from you all soon.

Mick

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello Mick,

a warm welcome to the SGL forum. not wishing to teach mothers to suck eggs as they say, please be careful of buying s/hand on Ebay, if you have any doubts, please ask the forum members for advice, especially with regard to certain makes.

john.

Welcome to the lounge, I would not buy from Ebay just in case but we have a second hand sales section here with offers - but you need 50 posts before the section opens up for you.

JohnH.

Hi, thanks for your comments and l have taken them on board re 2nd hand from ebay etc. I,m quiet impulsive but what i may do is either wait till the 2nd hand forum opens up to me or buy a new 130p or equivalent. Thanks again.

Hi Mick and welcome to the forum.

In fairness, there are some bargains that can be found on Ebay with regards to used kit but you must stick to recognised manufacturers, know what you are looking at and what to look for and be able to inspect the kit in person. From a beginners viewpoint, some of that might be a little tricky.

If I were you, I would take your time and ask more questions to build that post count up (+ 1 month's active membership) so when you are ready to buy, you give yourself as many options as possible to get as much for your budget. I admire your honesty in admitting your impulsiveness, we're all like that from time to time though we try to pretend we're not!:):D

Clear skies

James

Well to be honest l would rather buy a telescope that l wouldn't have to change for a fair few years. an in between model. like the skywatcher 150 (New) i saw some on the forums trader site. 2 interested me. 1 was the 150 which was the shorter of the two and the other was 150 and longer, better magnification, think they were around £250 . Rather buy new with warranty etc :(

Plus l want to put my camera on it. I have a fujifilm S5000

Would also like to use my laptop too, but l'm thinking that's gonna need a better telescope.

I know take my time :)

Hi Rubberman :)

I went to an introductory astronomy meeting for beginners at Rosliston Forestry

centre. They meet every last Friday of the month. So l,m going again this Friday with a work mate. Maybe you guys already go?

Archived