Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

ORION, 55 hoours.

ollypenrice

I've just looked at x3 in size and I'm going to have a lie down! It is very moorish to say the least and the detail is never ending. All the new people who are joining the forum and who want to get into imaging should look at this image to see how good things can get but equally, appreciate all the hard work it takes to produce.

Many thanks Olly

James

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That Photoshop speak is doing my head in, what does it mean in algebraic terms, pretty please?

I know the feeling! The colour layer was straight out of the one shot colour camera but showed the Ha regions like Barnard's Loop and the Meissa nebula (the top one) only faintly.

I also took the image in Ha, viz...

1094349246_cE8rH-M.jpg

I then partially applied this Ha layer to just the red from the colour image and finally used it also, though only very slightly, to alter the lighting of the finished product across all colours. This is a very standard technique for emission nebulae which otherwise remain all coy. Finally, the camera lens can't resolve fine detail all that well so I took an older telescopic image, Horsehead to M42, and used a programme called Registar to resize it to fit over the right bit of the new picure and I selectively added bits to boost the resolution just a little. Too much and the difference in star sizes is too obvious.

Olly

So

R(final)=R(original) (+ or *) fudge*Ha(original)

and

L(final)=L(original) (+ or *) small_fudge*Ha(original)

?

Yes. The fudge comes in various flavours or 'blend modes.' EG you can just replace the red with the ha (unsubtle) or you can apply it so that only when the Ha is lighter than the red does it do anything to it, etc etc.

Olly

Just stunning. Olly - without doubt, the best widefield I have seen of this region and a very, very full Barnard's Loop. It's not all about Ha emission either, just look at the Witch!

Well done, Olly, as Martin said, 'awesome' seems like a realistic description to me!

Hi Olly,

I've been looking forward to this ever since you mentioned it to me...

It doesn't disappoint, I'm sure you could push the data more if you chose to but I love it looking more natural as is! Maybe a version pushed further, just to see the extent of nebulosity you've captured?

Really well done, the best of this area I have seen!

Cheers,

Jordan

Hi Olly,

I've been looking forward to this ever since you mentioned it to me...

It doesn't disappoint, I'm sure you could push the data more if you chose to but I love it looking more natural as is! Maybe a version pushed further, just to see the extent of nebulosity you've captured?

Really well done, the best of this area I have seen!

Cheers,

Jordan

Cheers Jordan. trouble is, each panel only has four hours colour in the OSC at F four point something and that is not enough to get too deep. Also in pulling each panel around to get it to blend I think you effectively lose bits of depth here and there and are limited by that.

I could have gone deeper with a nifty fifty lens but I went for small stars instead...

Olly

That sir, will take some beating :). Simply awesome piece of work and if you gave it all up tomorrow, you should be proud of yourself for that. Glueing 6 panes together like that must have been absolutely mind numbing!

Tony..

Archived