Another one jumped on the bandwagon!

Annevh

Hi all

I'm a complete beginner at this astronomy business and am starting with absolutely zero knowledge. After moving to a small Norfolk village recenty, I made a few comments about how amazing the sky was without all the light pollution from the town. So, my husband bought me a telescope for my birthday recently. It was a complete surprise, but a delightful one and I've been so excited to get going.

I have a lot to learn and I wouldn't say it's plain sailing. I will be having a read of the forum once this is posted to see if I can find any answers to questions I have.

In the meantime, however....

Hello!

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Anne and welcome to the forum.

We're a friendly bunch and are keen to answer any questions you have. The only daft question is the one you didn't ask. You might not be aware but at Kelling Heath in Norfolk, there will be a very large star party taking place with all manner of scopes and people taking part. I would definitely recommend that you go along to see what there is on show and it will also give you the opportunity to ask questions etc - I expect some of us will be there too.

Clear skies in the meantime.

James

Thanks for the welcome. Nice to 'meet' you!

James, I work not far from Kelling Heath. Do you know when the star party is taking place? Is a star party a social thing with people looking through each other's telescopes or is it more than that?

Hello! Nice to know I'm not the only one in Norfolk!

Yes, I'm really lucky to have good skies to view. Sadly, there's not too much of it thanks to high hedges and garden fences, but what I can see is pretty breathtaking with the naked eye, so I just can't wait to see how it'll look through the scope. Orion and the Pleiades at least are perfectly positioned and just begging to be gazed at and I'll be able to see Jupiter as long as I go out as soon as I get home from work, before it moves behind next door's monster tree!

Hello Anne,

Great hobby... I'm new since just before Christmas when my girlfriend bought me a scope... I am loving it, I am reading, surfin and checking info links on this forum to learn as much as possible... I'm regretting wasting 50 years not doing it! loving it loving it loving it...

I wish you clear skies (it's the right thing to say)

Archived