A big hello to the Lounge!

Velikovsky

Hi All

Just joined the throng - I don't get to talk telescopes enough. This is me/us...

We bought a Sky Watcher 6inch reflector with an EQ3-2 mount some years ago and it got used for occasional casual evening sky watching :) for a few years with the kids. Now they're getting older and can stay up later we are ramping up to make things more interesting.

We bought a collimator (was out by a mile![still is...]) a t-piece etc for our EOS500D, we bought a dual axis drive (cheap one) and a little laptop so we can sit in the shed in the warm and control everything using the drive remote control and live view from the camera. We're not quite there yet - focus is a nightmare and we hate tripods!!!

MizarAB_Alcor.jpg

I've attached a piccy we took a couple of nights ago of Mizar A&B with Alcor & Sidus Ludovicianum? We were fairly happy with it. It was the first outing for the 'jury rigged' motorised focuser I made from the dec motor in a fit of Saturday amateur mechanics. (picture attached). Waiver: no telescopes were hurt in the attachment process:rolleyes:

We took a load of frames of Orion Nebula too a few weeks back and had a go at stacking them with DeepSky Stacker - results were mixed (especially in the focus/vibration department) but I've attached that too so people can crit :) - feel free...

Next plan is to build a pedestal. I know a man etc etc - big metal thing bolted to a concrete base planned - any advice about this?

post-23764-133877522906_thumb.jpg

post-23764-133877522909_thumb.jpg

post-23764-133877522926_thumb.jpg

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi and welcome, your orion pic is good, i would be very pleased with that, as for your focuser...you done very well, i would not have a clue what to do so well done and i'm sure you will get it working the way you want, take a look at the DIY section, this could be right up your street.

Hi, Welcome to SGL! I'm a new member too and I have been made to feel very welcome! Just starting my journey into Astronomy (Stargazing) been fascinated by the books of Carl Sagan et al for years, so now actually doing something about it!!!

Archived