Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

total noob

soggybongo

Hi all, after spending 22yr in the Army learning a little about the dark space above me i thought it was about time i learnt a little more. This will be a family hobby as the kids are really into it.

I did quite alot of research into what i wanted to do and what my wallet would be able to afford. After a few months of saving like crazy i had £1500 to spend.

initially i was going to go for a Meade ext90 8" until the wife came home from work with the news that someone was selling a meade lxd75 n-6at, for £600 and only been used twice for a maximum of 3 hour and then boxed away for 12 month. So off i jumped into the car to have a look at it. I ended up bartering for it and finally walked away only paying £450 for a near new setup.

i then went online and ordered a set of lenses and filters and barlows.

Set it up the other night only to find that one of the chips that run the motors had blown, what a bummer! must have been damaged in the car as it worked earlier.

Ordered another yesterday at a cost of £90 so hopefully this will arrive before the weekend so i can get it out for a play.

I have hundreds of questions to ask but in the mean time i'd just like to say what a fantastic site you have here.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks guys, had a phone call from Lee at telescope house. The new motor/ chip will be with me on Monday. I'll be out this weekend weather permitting but manual only. Still it will give me a chance getting to know the scope and mount and practice getting polar alignment.

Archived