Greetings from another Essex based astronomer

The Bat

Hi all

I have been a regular user of the SPA forum for a while but thought I would come and hang out here too.

My name's Rachel and I am based in Dunmow in Essex. I started astronomy as a hobby nearly 3 years ago, but have had a long standing interest in the subject since I was a child. I own an 8" SCT and indulge in a bit of lunar and planetary imaging. I joined the North Essex Astronomical Society some 18 months ago and now sit on the committee.

Look forward to some astro chat. I know a couple of my fellow NEAS members are on here already.

Rachel

have you shown your imaging efforts yet in the imaging section, I am sure we would love to see?

Thanks for the welcome. I will get try and get round to posting a few images at some point. I don't have any very recent ones as I haven't used the imaging camera for a while now, but I can dig out a few examples when I get time. My avatar is my own picture of Saturn :).

Rachel

Hi Rachel, quite a few from Essex have joined in the past few days (me included) - Dunmow has some nice dark areas around for observing - I guess the area between Dunmow and Thaxted is quite nice & dark, even going out further toward Steeple Bumpstead?

Anyway, welcome!

I took a drive around Theydon Bois / Loughton over the weekend, where I gather there is also an astronomy club. Could see why. Lots of fields, and very few street lights. Seems like the north of the county is the best for avoiding light pollution.

Thanks for the huge string of welcomes.

My garden in Dunmow is pretty good really. No major light pollution. The house blocks out the streetlamps out front (which are switched off at midnight, or 1am BST). Just one annoying security light over the back fence and a few neighbours that seem to leave their bathroom lights on for half the night. On a good night though I can see Andromeda Galaxy (just about) with the naked eye.

Have posted a couple of pictures in the lunar and planetary sections for those that were asking. :)

Rachel

Archived