Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Few Firsts and an image

JCJC

Yesterday I was very out of practise, setting up took an age!

This is my...

... first go with my newly modded 450D!

... first go with the new 7nm Ha filter from Santa!

... first 20min sub!

I realise the image is noisy and needs more time but it was good to make sure the kit was working as it should.

One interesting thing, I was using APT for camera control, if I had 3s anti-vibration turned on then the noise was awful. (example attached) I know it uses liveview to simulate mirror lockup but it made the images unusable. With it switched off the images are great. I guess this is normal, I don't need mirror lockup anyway, but useful to know.

Image details are on my blog Horizon Astro's Blog: IC1805 - Heart Nebula

Thanks for looking,

Jordan

post-15800-13387751627_thumb.jpg

post-15800-133877516285_thumb.jpg

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now that has come out very nicely... Excellent result. The liveview forces the camera amp to be on, and that causes heating on the sensor which is what your seeing... amp glow. I found I didn't need mirror lock up either with my last couple of nights runs.

Odd. I've been shooting for several hours last night using APT and my EOS 1000D and 3 sec anti vibration pause and none of my frames has any amp glow (or none that my untrained eye can see). Does this vary from camera to camera? Or did it help that we had -5 degrees outside? ;-)

Absolutely stunning. Can't wait to see you add more data.

BTW: if you're using just the USB cable with APT it simulates mirrorlock with the amp staying on. If you buy a serial to shutter release cable APT then uses the proper mirrorlock function :icon_eek: Just remember to turn on mirrorlock on the camera and then there's no amp glow. I've only just learned this :D

• 4 weeks later...

Gorgeous image and thanks for the heads up on the amp glow. I thought the Canons were immune to this effect but it seems it could be down to the anti vibration lockup. I'll test it but will be sure not to lock the mirror up during my shots.

Archived