NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Newbie from Essex -NOT a stargazing live convertee!

Simms

Hi all, very new to astronomy, after much research in Nov/Dec last year I decided to get myself a pair of Celestron 15x70 binos and was amazed when I first viewed the Christmas day nightsky with them - I was looking forward to viewing the Orion nebula (great!!) but was more taken with the Pleiades - they literally took my breath away. Anyway, my biggest problem is I am a professional photographer and cannot view something beautiful without wanting to take a photo of it - so I am looking at buying a scope and learning astrophotography. Obviously there is a lot to learn (and money to spend) but hopefully I am in this for the long haul!

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Simms and welcome to the forum.

Astrophotography is proving to be very popular and there are many ways to obtain the images. Can I make a suggestion to you and that is to get a hold of "Making Every Photon Count" by the forum's own Steve Richards (FLO £19.95) which outlines all you need to know to get started and what you will need in order to get the type of images you want. It is a very well written book, concise and thorough in its account of the requirements. To be honest, good imaging doesn't come cheap and the learning curve can be steep so having an overview such as this at the beginning may also save you some money as well.

Clear skies

James

Hi Simms and welcome to the forum.

Astrophotography is proving to be very popular and there are many ways to obtain the images. Can I make a suggestion to you and that is to get a hold of "Making Every Photon Count" by the forum's own Steve Richards (FLO £19.95) which outlines all you need to know to get started and what you will need in order to get the type of images you want. It is a very well written book, concise and thorough in its account of the requirements. To be honest, good imaging doesn't come cheap and the learning curve can be steep so having an overview such as this at the beginning may also save you some money as well.

Clear skies

James

Hi James, yeah I have been reading up on it a bit and seen this book mentioned in several places - I think I need to learn to crawl before I can jump so going to settle with some wide angle sky photography and work my way down to the various planets and nebula once I start to find my feet with a Telescope. Obviously in these times of austerity (we`re all in this together right?:) ) I think I need to watch the pennies so to drop the kind of money that I have seen quoted I think its best I get to know the basics first..

Thanks for the welcome!

Hi Simms and welcome to SGL :)

I would advise you set a budget first then ask any questions you like in the Beginners Help section. AP can be expensive as you say - but a basic starter setup can be done very economically with a simple webcam. I reckon you'll want more than just that though and probably a lot sooner lol :D

Welcome to SGL.

I'm also based in Essex!

You can start with the astrophotography fairly cheaply and easily using a camera that you'll already have and a camera tripod.

You can get some nice widefield shots of constellations, meteors, star trails or even the summer milkyway like that.

When you're ready you'll have a better idea of which way you want to go and hopefully won't waste too much money on the way.

Cheers

Ant

Archived