Noobie

shttw

Hi all, :)

just joined, I am in Lincs UK and have ordered a set of Celestron Bino's from FLO to get started. Hope they arrive soon!

I made that decision after reading all the advice here and being tempted with scopes like the ETX90 which 'seem' to make things very simple.

I've always been interested and spent quite a bit of time staring upwards, watched tons of "universe" type ducomentaries and read lots of mind blowing physics books. I can recognise some basic constellations but what I really want to do now is see some things with my own eyes. Jupiter, Saturn and especially some galaxies. Would love to get into photographing objects and processing it on PC.

I've downloaded stellarium which seems amazing for learning and deciding what to look for.

I plan to get a scope in the future once I have worked out what I need. I like to go camping and it would be great to take a scope when outdoors for 2 weeks with little light pollution.

Look forward to joining in and contributing.

Sean

Hi Sean and welcome from me.

Getting a pair of bins and holding back on the scope is good idea for the moment. Next step would be checking out a local astro group(s) so you can experience different types of telescope and find out the best for you. Take your time, the universe isn't going anywhere soon.

Hello Sean, a very warm welcome to the SGL forum, I agree with everything that John has said, you might like to obtain a copy of Sky and Telescopes Pocket Sky Atlas to use with your bins and a red torch, sticking some red cellophane sweet paper over a small torch is the cheapskate way or red nail varnish, enjoy your Astronomy.

John.

Hi Sean and welcome to the forum.

Looks like you've made a wise start buying those binos and they won't disappoint. It is a very good idea to take everything slowly as you increase your knowledge in anticipation of buying kit. My recommendation to you is to use this time of year to go and look through some kit as there are many public observational evenings going on. All the statistics and measurements won't satisfy your expectations the way that actually observing through this gear will do. It's also an opportunity to look at this gear close up (you mention the desire for mobility) and to ask the owners questions like, how long does it take to 'cool' down and how long to set it all up.

Clear skies for those binos!

James

Archived