SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Hi from Derby

Stephen

Greetings all, though I'd drop a post and say hi :)

Many a summer I used to nab the 8" reflector from school and spend my nights looking up, but then university and jobs and life ... well I drifted away somewhat though still maintained my collection of books/DVDs on the subject. (I really need to get round to watching Wonders of the Solar System on blu ray Santa brought me for Christmas!)

Fast forward 15 years or so from then and my collection of books just isn't doing it for me anymore, and my daughter and I (well me, she's 10 and spends all her pocket money on random junk!) have decided to get a telescope and get out there :D

I'm imminently (well as soon as a few old mobile phones get sold off to a certain recycling company) about to purchase a Skyliner 200P which would seem to tick all the boxes for us right now.

Longer term goals would include purchasing a EQ mount and SLR but they are not top of my list right now.

I would be interested to know what eyepieces work well with the 200P, budget isn't probably as high as it needs to be (sub £75) but as I understand it the supplied ones are "passable"?

Looking forward to chatting with you all on the forums.

Stephen

Hi Stephen

Weclome to SGL from another local. I'm not a dob expert so I'll leave that to better qualified people although I believe that the eyepieces supplied will certainly perform ok for starting out.

Cheers

Dave...

Hi and welcome from me too :)

The eyepieces supplied with most scopes aren't that great but the ones with the SW 200 are good enough to get started with. Its best to get some eyetime in before you go buying stuff so you get an idea of what it is you want.

Even quite modest eyepieces will be an improvement over the supplied ones. I found some good quality Plossl types from Celestron, TAL and Vixen all work well with my own 200P. These cost around £30 to £40 each.

Hi Stephen and welcome to SGL :)

With your budget you should just get a couple of nice wide angle 2" eye pieces (especially if you go s/h). You should get a 10mm and a 25mm with the scope so I'd suggest maybe a 2" 30-40mm and maybe a 15mm as well to fill in the gaps.

Or if you can stretch to £100(ish) you'll get a s/h Hyperion Zoom Mk2. I find this a great all rounder with good quality views and a decent range of stops from 8mm to 24mm in 4mm steps :D

Archived