Hello from Rotherham

redneon

Hi, everyone!

My name's Darrell and I'm a games programmer from near Rotherham. I've recently started getting into astronomy (past six months or so) and thought I'd join this great forum to help me along with it :eek:

It's something I've always been meaning to get into as I've always had an avid interest in the cosmos and physics, etc. I always thought it was an expensive hobby to start, though. A few months ago my father-in-law gave me a pair of binoculars he used to use in the 60s for terrain stuff. He said they were 20x80 but I'm not so sure myself. I really should check. Anyway, I've been using them to get my head around the night sky and start learning the circum-polar constellations, etc.

My wife bought me a Celestron Astromaster 114 (Newtonian reflector with an equatorial mount) for Christmas which I'm over the moon with (pun intended). I've only had two nights of clear sky since Christmas so far though, so I haven't been able to use it much :) I'm really looking forward to having a good night with it where I can finally get it polar aligned and start pointing it at RA and DEC coords from Stellarium. I'm finding the included star pointer thingy really difficult to use.

I'm also planning on asking for some 10x50 binoculars for my birthday in March. But then I think maybe I should get something for my scope instead?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Darrell.

First of all you have a great job , I'm not jealous honest :eek: .

I too have Just started out as you have and my wife has just bought me a Celestron AstroMaster 130 EQ. I haven't been able to use mine either yet (too many clouds above Bradford) but I geuss all good things come to those who wait.

All the best.

Hey Darrell.

I am a newbie in Sheffield (not far from Meadowhall) and have also just gotten a scope for Christmas. Skymax-127 with GOTO. Not seen much through it so far!

Have been to a few meetings of the SAS and intend to become a member this year.

You will love this forum!

First of all you have a great job , I'm not jealous honest .

Thanks! I'd be lying if I said I didn't love my job. It's really stressful at times and the hours can be ridiculous but it's worth it for a game nut like me... just :)

I am a newbie in Sheffield (not far from Meadowhall) and have also just gotten a scope for Christmas. Skymax-127 with GOTO. Not seen much through it so far!

Have been to a few meetings of the SAS and intend to become a member this year.

I work around there (Sumo Digital behind Forgemasters). I live in the Dearne Valley, though. There's an astronomical society not far from me in Swinton (Mexborough & Swinton Astronomical Society). I'm planning on going to a few meetings once I've gotten a bit more under my belt. I don't want to look like a complete idiot :eek:

Hi Darrell,

A warm welcome to SGL. Binoculars always come in handy - having ones that can fit on a camera tripod are handy so you don't get any shake when you look through them

cheers

John

Archived