Help needed

Jethrooliver

Hi there, I'm new to all this as everyone always says iv always been interested in the stars but never done anything about it until now, I'm looking to purchase a telescope and was wandering what to get! I have around a £200 budget but could go a little more if it's worth it! So I guess my question is what's the best starting point for me??

I have had a look through the various different types and am now wandering what sort I'm after, I'm mainly interested in looking at the moon and the planets for now but i will be interested in looking at the other galaxies and stars. So which one would give me the best views for the planets? And what is the difference with them all??

Welcome aboard.

As suggested Skywatcher do a great range of scopes. A popular choice here on the forum is the Explorer 130P Which will do a bit of all round stuff from solar system to deep sky so it will get you right in there (weather permitting - don't get us started on that one).

See the range that FLO have to offer. Theres lots there to suit your budget.

Have a look.

Skywatcher

Ask loads of questions. I sure you'll end up with the right one for you.

Cheers

Dave...

Hi Jethro and welcome to SGL :eek:

The best views of planets would be with a Cassegraine telescope because of their long focal length and sharp contrasty views. A wide field short apocromatic would be better for galaxies and dso's (deep sky objects).

You often find folk who have both types. A decent compromise that would give good value for money and reasonable views of both would be a Newtonian reflector either on a dobson base or an equatorial mount.

Hope that helps and inspires you to do a bit of necessary research :)

Archived