Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Rosette Nebula dust pillars (Hao3s2) wip

Tim

Thought I'd just post this one before I nip off for a few days.

I first turned the MN190 to the Rosette over a year ago, and it stuck in my mind as a target to come back to. I have made a start with just a few subs from each filter, no more than 3.5 hours each so far. The S2 as usual is devilishly weak.

MN190 with SXV H9 - Baader filters

Thanks for looking.

Tim

tj-albums-mak-newt-190-pictures-picture8169-rosette-nebula-dust-pillars-nb.jpg

That is photo is absolutely stunning in my opinion, fantastic proccessing. So much detail, you've done a terrific job on the stars too, which seems to be really difficult to control with narrowband imaging. What's the bandwidth of these filters? & what mount & guiding are you using?

Happy New Year

Jonas

That is photo is absolutely stunning in my opinion, fantastic proccessing. So much detail, you've done a terrific job on the stars too, which seems to be really difficult to control with narrowband imaging. What's the bandwidth of these filters? & what mount & guiding are you using?

Happy New Year

Jonas

Thank you. I haven't actually touched the stars yet, they are as they are straight from the data. Collimation is a touch off by the look of it :)

The Baader filters are Ha 7nm, and I think the O3 is 8.5nm. I cant remember what the S2 is, 4nm perhaps?

The mount is a pier mounted EQ6, driven with EQMod, PHD guiding with adjustments made via eqmod, it's a really intuitive method with the sliders. Nebulosity 2 to capture the data. I use free stuff where possible :(

At todays prices, a similar setup, for everything except power supply and laptop is less than £4.5k, which seems very reasonable, when you can pay that just for a telescope :p

Thanks Fay. I dont suppose we'll ever get enough clear nights to enable me to do it, but I would love to to this as a mosaic. Anybody know of any good guides to doing them? Not attempted it before.

Cheers

Tim

Lovely image. How do you get the vivid colour?

T x

Thanks. The original files taken for it, via three different filters are all greyscale images. By combining them and assigning the grey channels to Red, Green and Blue channels, the colours are provided that way.

The colours as above are false colours, but we use them to clearly differentiate between the different types of emission gasses in the nebulae. (Same pallete as Hubble uses).

Cheers

Tim

Archived