NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Hello from Southend!

bamus

Just would like to say Hello to all of you. My name is Adam and I am living in Southend on Sea. I have been into astronomy for more the than 2 years now, and wide field shots and star trials are my favorite ones. Recently I have purchased EQ5 goto ugrade kit to my telescope (sw200/1000) and I am loving it :) I have seen more DS objects in one sesion than throughout past 2 years. Still searching for best observing site in my area, at the moment best one was in Dengie Peninsula - great place for stargazing! Not sure if I can find better one within 1 hr driving from Southend. Maybe you recommend any good sites in south Essex?

regards

Adam

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome to the forum Adam. I belong to the Castle Point Astronomy club which is close to Southend although I live in Maldon. It is a very active club having weekly meetings and we have a dark site on the Dengie Penninsula (on private land) which we go to as a club as and when the weather permits. You would be very welcome at the club - details can be seen here http://www.cpac.org.uk

Dave

Welcome to SGL Adam.

I was going to point you in the direction of the CPAC, but I see that Dave has beaten me too it!

I would guess that if CPAC travel out to he Dengie Penninsula, there probably isn't anywhere better closer!

I used to observe in Danbury, which is OK but with Chelmsford being so close where you currently go is probably better!

Ant

Wow, I did not expect so many replies to my post within few hrs, it must be good place to be J

@ Dave – I guess you have to be club member and attend meetings in order to being invited to Dengie Peninsula club site? Lack of time would not allow me to come and visit club on regular basis, but going together to Dengie once in a while would be great. Currently I am parking on the side of the road just before private land mark. It is not so bad, but would be much better to get closer to North sea coast. Do you know if there is any public road allowing to park close to sea wall?

@ tuc – I will share defiantly, this weekend I am going to Dorset to visit my friend and I am planning to take some pictures of star trials on Jurassic coast. Keeping my finger crossed for the weather.

@ All of you – thanks for a warm welcome!!!

@ Dave – I guess you have to be club member and attend meetings in order to being invited to Dengie Peninsula club site? Lack of time would not allow me to come and visit club on regular basis, but going together to Dengie once in a while would be great. Currently I am parking on the side of the road just before private land mark. It is not so bad, but would be much better to get closer to North sea coast. Do you know if there is any public road allowing to park close to sea wall?

Yes you do need to be a full member, but I don't think you have to visit the club regularly. I don't know of any public road that gets as far as the coast. Our dark site is next to the sea wall.

Dave

@ tuc – I will share defiantly, this weekend I am going to Dorset to visit my friend and I am planning to take some pictures of star trials on Jurassic coast. Keeping my finger crossed for the weather.

Very good. Best of luck!

Archived