Just Starting Out

JonnyW

Hi All

I have just recently joined SGL & would like to tell you a bit about myself. I am originally from Glasgow and now live in Leeds.

I have always been fascinated by astronomy but have never delved into it as much as I should. Recently I decided to take the plunge and started doing a lot of research into how to start pursuing my interest. I have a good pair of binoculars which I use in my other main interest, aviation, and along with a tripod I bought a few years ago have spent a good few nights in my back garden observing Jupiter and its visible moons and being fascinated by Orion and the Pleiades. I also installed Stellarium which has been a great help in finding my way around.

For my recent birthday my good lady has bought me my first telescope, a Explorer 150P EQ3-2, which we have spent this afternoon putting together. I now cannot wait for my first session which hopefully will be tomorrow night when the forecast is for clear skies.

I have lurked on this site for a while and been very impressed by it. Hope to see you all around on the forum and make whatever contribution I can.

Best of luck with your new scope. I know it's been recommended many times. My first ever session was last night, just a short one due to an early start today and I can't wait for my first "proper session".

I'm sure you'll enjoy the SGL.

Clear skies.

Hello and welcome from me too :D

That's the later version of my scope and it is indeed a good starting point. I still get lots of fun out of mine 4 years later and despite recent bouts of aperture fever I am sticking with it. :)

Archived