Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hello Stargazers!

Neilius

I recently got back into the astronomy game (although I've never been more than an amateur) and decided to join this forum, as it seems to have plenty of UK members.

Last week, I bought a Celestron 130 Astromaster and had the opportunity to use it last night for the first time (blumming clouds!). It was then I realised how out of practice I am: It took me ages just to get Jupiter in the scope, but the searching was worth it in the end.

This scope blows my old one out of the water: I could clearly see all four moons, a couple of bands on Jupiter itself and the Red Spot; the last two objects I've never seen before thru a scope.

Next I turned to the moon and was again blown away by the clear image.

Unfortunately, its turned cloudy again here, with snow forecast so it may be a few days before I do any stargazing again, but I'm looking forward to it!

Anyway, Hello all!!!

Again, Thanks for the welcome folks!

I managed to drag myself out of bed this morning at 6 am (Thursday is my day off) to view Venus and Saturn.

Venus looked as I expected - like a small quarter moon and very bright (I should get some filters), and then I turned to Saturn but (and I know this is going to sound odd) I think I came across Mercury instead; because the 'disk' that appeared in my scope was small and yellowish, certainly no rings visible.

Having said that, the sky was getting lighter and I was using a 20mm eyepiece (x33 mag) on my 5'' Newtonian. I don't think we'll have clear skies tommorow morning (certainly not tonight) besides which, I have to go to University (I'm a mature student, doing English), but let's see what the weekend brings!

Archived