Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Keeping Warm!

bus_ter

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thermals, sweat pants, cotton turtleneck with a wool sweater over it, wool socks, ice fishing boots rated to -40C, insulated ski pants, nice warm gloves, goose down coat, and a rabbit hat with ear flaps like the one Elmer Fudd wears. :)

Oh, and i hide behind a portable windbreak (tarps and pvc pipes) when there's a breeze, and stand on a 2'x2'x2" thick piece of styrofoam building insulation. Add a thermos of hot tea, and i'm set for the night. :eek:

Thermals, sweat pants, cotton turtleneck with a wool sweater over it, wool socks, ice fishing boots rated to -40C, insulated ski pants, nice warm gloves, goose down coat, and a rabbit hat with ear flaps like the one Elmer Fudd wears.

That must be one hell of a sight. :eek::D:D:D:D

When its really cold, I go for 2 of everything (except shoes...lol) , a bennie hat, and a massive duck feather padded jacket I got from China.

Once im set up I retreat to the relative warmth of the utility room, or sit with the laptop in what used to be the outside toilet :eek:

I've got the Russian hat, plus thermals, and one of those one piece padded suits that night fishermen wear.....I've been sat outside for 12 hour sessions in January, and felt warm enough....not hot, but certainly not freezing.

Oh....the odd brandy poured into a double espresso works well too :eek:

Cheers

Rob

A nice flask of port:D

But I double up peoples suggestions on the Ugg boots, just get some waterproofing spray if you need to for wet grass znd mud. And probably best not to use your good pair. If I was still cycling I would probably put some full length knicks on under everything. I recently made a wind shield with a couple of poles and a tarp as well but it started off as a LP barrier but if the wind is up and it's 0° out the wind takes priority.

A nice flask of port

Warning here, alcohol is an excellent way of (a) increasing the heat loss rate by dilating peripheral blood supply and (:) being less aware that you're entering the early stages of hypothermia. Boozing then going out in the cold is an excellent way of being found dead of exposure.

After 15 years of kayaking, I have a nice supply of proper thermal stuff to allow survival when immersed in near-freezing water. (who'd have thought that summertime water in the French Alps would be 4 degree water temp and 35 degree air temp!). I've also got a few mountainbiking bits and pieces that hve across purposes as well.

If I know that I'm going to be out for a few hours in the freezing cold, I've got a preperation list.

I'll wear the following:

- Thin cotton socks.

- Thick fleece socks.

- Hiking boots, with the space for the thicker socks.

- Helly-Hansen long john thermal layer

- Cheap fleece long johns

- Breathable waterproof pants, with velco tighteners on the ankle cuffs.

- Helly-Hansen thermal top, with full length arms.

- Mid-weight fleece top.

- Hoodie.

- Snowboard jacket, with windproof hood and elasticated

- Long woolen scarf.

- Fleece hat.

- Windproof fleece gloves. I had a pair of neoprene paddling gloves with flip-over fingertips for fine work, but these floated down a river on me :)

- Orange hunting balaclava if it is really cold, but this scares the neighbours.

I interleave layers, and I make sure that as little skin as possible is exposed.

If I have a seat, I'll put some insulation on it, such as a neoprene patch from an old spraydeck. Most likely I'll be standing around.

A flask of hot Ribena is the best possible drink for the cold - no caffeine, and contains enough sugar to warm without causing a sugar spike and crash. Tastes good too. Ceral bars are a good munchy to have in the dark, you don't need to see them to be able to eat them. Hydration is very important, cold air warming up in your lungs will dry you out soon enough, and your performance at the eyepiece will suffer eventually.

It's important in the sub-zero temperatures to avoid touching metal with bare skin, and to manage the breathing as condensation from breath is nigh-impossible to shift until everything is warmed up again. Nothing worse than getting dew that freezes on your eyepiece!

Being a fisherman and spending many nights sat on the river bank I have learned the best way to keep warm is..

Buy a pair of fishermans thermal outfit and boots this will keep you warm as toast. Heres my suggestion..Sundridge Waterproof Retex Mk3 2 Piece Suits - ONLY £99.99 - WITH FREE BOOTS WORTH £39.99!!

I have this suit and its warm as toast. If you cant afford one just yet then just get the lower part for you legs and wear a big thick coat with lots of layers underneath. The trousers are the part that I find keep you the warmest when your standing up so just getting them would make a big difference. Trust me when you have to sat still on the river bank all night long and your rod rings are covered in ice this is the way to keep warm. Also as there throwing in thermal boots in this deal which you need this is the way to go you will not be cold ever again with this lot.

A few brandies may help on the coldest of nights,not TOO much though,dont want no accidents do we :):D

Dont forget the humble hot water bottle for your er bum if you are seated,the very thought makes me feel better already.Astronomy and piles do NOT go together.

Last year i got a pair of salopettes from T J Huges £20 excellent purchase coupled with t-shirt fleece pullover and a duckdown 3/4 length padded jacket scarf and the obligatory russian hat.

Think layers as these trap air inbetween.

Or take up imaging :):D:D

Andy

I'm still on the lookout for a decent McMurdo Jacket at something close to a halfway sensible price.

In the meantimne I have a whole load of Nothface, Berghaus gear. The real killer I always find is feet really suffer. I invested in some serious hiking boots with some sort of super-duper fabric and they are brill - keep my little toes like toast.

I'm still on the lookout for a decent McMurdo Jacket at something close to a halfway sensible price.

Try looking in TKMaxx, I picked one up last year for £30. They get new stock in quite often so keep looking. Mine is orange, presumably no one else wanted one that colour, but who cares I only wear it when it's dark. I also got some salopettes for £20, bargain.

Archived