Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Halloween Nightmare M31 with added fire

Beyond_Vision

I was told it was going to be difficult by some folks but I didn't expect to go to hell and back to add some fire to the HII regions. Peter Shah seemed to make it easy with a mere 80 mins of Ha. I had gathered around 7.5 hours of Ha and didn't get much signal. The condtions were less than ideal with it being full Moon and at times not good transparency.

After going around the processing merrygoround I finally decided enough is enough and here is Andromeda with splash of colour :). I hope it's not too much of a horror story.

Exposure 33 x 10 mins RGB and 45 x 10 mins Ha. Processed with DSS, Registar, Pix Insight and PSCS3.

beyondvision-albums-deep-sky-picture7530-m31-added-ha-apm-tmb105-qhy8-ccd-exposure-rgb-33-x-10-mins-ha-45-x-10-mins.jpg

Happy Halloween :mad:

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

you have a beautifully detailed image there but it is one of those targets ......one of the brightest things in the sky but a nightmare to get everything balanced nicely....i know where you have been with it...really!!!

7.5 hours of ha i would expect a lot more Ha to show.....it might be the way you have processed and added the ha data....how, in around about way, did you do it?

Absolutely nothing horrid about your work Kevin.

On the contrary, it is a tremendous Image of this mighty galaxy.

I think artistic licence can to be applied, and indeed should be, as long as it is nothing too outlandish. The colours just enhance the beauty of M31.

Ron.

Yep time to move on Kev :mad: Ha filters do tend to make a person go a little OCD!

Your nicest M31 to date at any rate :D

Is there a little spike on the stars, around 4 o clock? Just wondered where hat would come from, with a refractor :)

Tim

Yep time to move on Kev :D Ha filters do tend to make a person go a little OCD!

Your nicest M31 to date at any rate :)

Is there a little spike on the stars, around 4 o clock? Just wondered where hat would come from, with a refractor :)

Tim

Now thats 'the pot calling the kettle black' :):D

A few more hours wouldn't hurt :mad:

Thanks for the comments all.

Regards

Kevin

Can I ask a doofus question about the things shown in this stunning image please?

The very bright centre: thats a collection, densly packed, of stars right?

Each of the other bright dots is also a star, like our own sun (maybe bigger, maybe smaller), right? So each star I see is as far from the next dot as ours is from our next nearest galactic neighbour? And around each star there might, or might not, be a planetary grouping (a solar system). have I got this right?

Im just trying to grasp the scale.

D

Fantastic image. Whilst you may think it is disappointing i`m sure that many newer astronomers like myself will find your picture impressive. After all it is pictures like this that got us all into the hobby in the first place.:)

Can I ask a doofus question about the things shown in this stunning image please?

The very bright centre: thats a collection, densly packed, of stars right?

Each of the other bright dots is also a star, like our own sun (maybe bigger, maybe smaller), right? So each star I see is as far from the next dot as ours is from our next nearest galactic neighbour? And around each star there might, or might not, be a planetary grouping (a solar system). have I got this right?

Im just trying to grasp the scale.

D

Yes the stars within M31 are so far away that they are not resolved you can see structures like young blue star clusters and red emission nebulae (gas clouds) etc. The stars you can see are in the foreground and belong to our galaxy. M31 is has two satellite galaxies M110 below it and M32 above. To the left of M32 is a bright star in our galaxy. M31 is around 2.5 Million light years from us. As we are finding lots of exo-planets in our galaxy there must be a similar proportion of stars with planets in Andromeda.

Andromeda Galaxy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thanks for the great comments :)

Regards

Kevin

Thanks Rob and Olly :eek:

Here's the three pics as requested.

First image which I should have framed better. 17 x 10 minutes exposure

beyondvision-albums-deep-sky-picture6979-m31-apm-tmb105-qhy8-ccd-exposure-17-x-10-mins.jpg

Second run to get more data across diagonal then added to first image. Exposure 16 x 10 mins bringing total to 33 x 10 mins. The conditions were not quite as good as the first session. The data seemed a tad noisier so a slight amount of noise reduction used on this image.

beyondvision-albums-deep-sky-picture7274-m31-apm-tmb105-qhy8-ccd-33-x-10-minute.jpg

Third run with Ha added although not good conditions. Exposure 45 x 10 mins of Ha. The colour has also been enhanced slightly with the Gabany method bringing out the blue areas better and also helping out on the emission areas a little.

beyondvision-albums-deep-sky-picture7530-m31-added-ha-apm-tmb105-qhy8-ccd-exposure-rgb-33-x-10-mins-ha-45-x-10-mins.jpg

Regards

Kevin

Archived