hello

skunk1111

quick intro to why am here.

Right back when the no fly ban was on in britain because of the Icelandic volcanoe erupting me and a few friends were in wales doing some walking and then camped the night.

On that night we saw some great things metors thousands of stars and some weird stuff ie objects shooting across the skies in pairs and then shooting back the way they came from.

So with all this ive been reading abouts stars and space etc and find it very interesting,and with this we are trying to plan another trip asap and would like to know if now is the right time for good skies?

ill be browsing the forum now to read up on what i can and i will post the type of telescope my brother has bought because of this to see if it was worth the cash he paid for it.

:)

Hi and welcome to the forum.

I don't know about clear skies but Breacon, Exmoor and Dartmoor are all recognised dark sites due mainly to the lack of light pollution from surrounding towns and cities. So when it is clear from cloud, these are the best places in the west to view astronomy from. This time of year brings with it longer and darker nights as the sun is further below the horizon. So now from now on will be a good time to have a look through your brother's scope!

Clear skies

James

Hi Skunk and welcome to the group :)

What scope did he get? and what did he pay? Was it new or s/h? Wherever you are in the country the viewing is allways dictated by the weather conditions and atmosphere. But winter is definitely the time to maximise your potential for viewing - summer's been rubbish this year. The further away from lights you are the better.

Hi Skunk and welcome to the group :)

What scope did he get? and what did he pay? Was it new or s/h? Wherever you are in the country the viewing is allways dictated by the weather conditions and atmosphere. But winter is definitely the time to maximise your potential for viewing - summer's been rubbish this year. The further away from lights you are the better.

hi there,the scope is a sk 1309eq2 diameter 130mm focual length 900mm.He paid 160 pounds new for it.

we tried setting it up a few weeks ago a didnt get to see much .lol

well we could see the moon but that was upsidedown and we havent had the chance to get back out with it and try it out again.

Just a quick question will we be able to see anything good with this when we learn how to use it right.

Hey Skunk, Welcome to SGL.

I believe that is the Sky Watcher Explorer 130 telescope, I own one myself. The image appears upside down and back to front because its a reflector, the mirrors do that. The £160 is about right, they usually sell for £130 - £160 new.

And yes you will be able to see amazing sites such as distant galaxy's, star clusters, and beautiful views of the planets too.

If your having trouble viewing things with it then you must read up on polar alignment, even the most basic polar alignment that only takes 1 minute will make it much easier to find and track objects. Moving the telescope to things you want to view also makes more sense.

As a beginner myself I knew nothing about polar alignment and so found it extremely difficult to find and track objects. Also make sure the red dot finder is aligned properly. Do this during the day on something very far away such as someones TV aerial. And your brother might want to consider buying a beginner book such as "Turn Left at Orion".

Have fun and good luck with the scope.

Archived