Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Jupiter, 23 Oct, reasonable seeing (!)

brianb

Last night's full moon was swamping faint objects but fortunately the seeing was reasonably steady. In fact I got the best view of Jupiter I've had for ages, there was a lot of slow motion but the odd half second when the image looked like a steel engraving. Of course the supply of really good instants dried up as soon as I connected my camera!

Two sets of RGB:

Jupiter-101023-2140-X15-composite.jpg

Jupiter-101023-2154-X15-composite.jpg

and an odd infra red

Jupiter-101023-214410-IX15.jpg

2010 Oct 23, 2144 UT. CM1 096 deg CM2 186 deg. CPC1100, 1.5x barlow, Astronomik Planet Pro 742 IR pass filter, DMK21 camera.

Thanks guys! It was fun to do these ... last night was completely different, I struggled for about an hour & ended up junking the lot because they were so poor, it's the seeing that makes the difference. The reason is obvious today, rapid moving high cloud shows that the jet stream has returned to its usual position over my location 8-(

Hi Brian,

Just in reply, I did manage to make it out last night and the seeing was appalling as you relay. It was if the focuser had a mind of its own, the image was jumping in and out of focus - sometimes Jupiter ended up as a fuzzy blob! I have never seen it as bad. I knew I would regret not getting out on Saturday night.....:):(...What a difference a day makes! That looks like it for a few days.

Best regards,

Ralph:)

Archived