Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

So what's your guiding setup?

MG1

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seems off axis is becoming quite popular...does this cause much loss of contrast or resolution in refractors due to the relative loss of photon area or does it tend to sit outside of the lightpath to the sensor?

I wonder if I should consider this for my LVI and shoot it through the 132?

Michael

like a 400 f2.8L or a 200 f1.8L and nope that's not a typo it is the Canon 200mm f1.8L :) , they are both stunning lens wide open and I use them a lot for wildlife work

Mmmmmm......f1.8!

• 1 year later...

The QHY5 seems a popular guide cam. How would one of these compare to a lodestar, is that the next upgrade, or do the QHY5 users feel no need to upgrade.

The SX blurb refers to the lodestar as being a capable planetary camera. Appreciate the price differential is one aspect, what do you think ?

I'm looking at getting a guide cam set up and am poised to get an ST80 and take it from there, however, the guide scope option has its followers, would the lodestar be more suited at stretching the smaller guide scope capability ?

I use Altair Astro's side by side mounting system, ED80 with the trusted Lodestar. An OAG seems to be next natural step, although I have never had issues caused by the current guide setup such as DF or obvious FR.

ATIK OAG and a 16ic here on 670mm f/6.38 and 1340mm at f/12.

In future I may move to a full beam splitter with the Titan to test an idea I have with post-processing seeing correction.

I have a ST80 and a dead QHY6... I have a Mammut on its way from Bern I have been using ST4 for guiding, but ill switch to ascom i think.

The Mammut and Lodestar have the same chip, however the Lodestar has a weakness with the cable sockets, but it is much smaller.

OAG eliminates any chance of differential between your guide camera and imaging camera. Also, you're working at the same focal length as your main scope so guiding should be more accurate. However, I hear it can be more difficult to find guide stars?

Archived