Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

So what's your guiding setup?

MG1

Off axis, piggy back, side by side? Webcam, CCD, manual guidecam, auto guider or standalone? 66, 80, 100mm? PhD, guidedog etc?

What's everyone using and what would you change?

To start the ball rolling mines and LVI standalone guider on a WO 66mm piggybacking my main scope.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Currently it's an ADM side by side bar and a QHY5 cam with PHD doing the hard work. Normally it's either my ZS66 or ED80 acting as a guide scope.

As things stand at the moment, I'm not looking to change anything as it works just fine for my purposes, but I'm mulling over the idea of converting a finder into a finderguider in anticipation of possibly buying something like a MN190. I like the idea of an OAG but two of my scopes don't have the strongest of focusers (TBH I'm not sure about my third either!) and I'm certain the combined weight of the OAG, filterwheels and cameras would probably cause more issues then it would solve.

Tony..

QHY5 on a 50mm finder scope attached to the finder shoe of the Equinox using a 50mm finder scope bracket which has had the stupid adjuster removed and drilled and tapped so that it can be secured properly like a guide scope ring.

Currently using PHD. Very very good results with this as it really adds not weight to the scope just replaces the visual finder.

3 set ups - side by side using an Astrodevelopments M3 system with losmandy dovetail. ZS66 with lodestar guider/ QSI 532wsg which has a built in OAG/ SX adaptive optics system used with 10" LX200R

Maxim DL

I've only guided once (last week) but it worked vey well with a Farpoint OAG, and an SX guidehead with the H9 camera controlledby Maxim.

I'm hoping for more chance to test other combinations (eg FR, filter wheel) this week.

Helen

Helen

Obs rig: Piggybacked Mak 127 guide scope on ADM rings and rail with Mintron 12V6 video camera as guide cam, works a treat with Guidemaster through a video capture card. Guides CGE mount with superb accuracy

Mobile rig: piggy back ST80 on ADM rings and rail with Synguider standalone guiding an HEQ5 pro.

Philj

Side by side bar - st80 & qhy5 guiding and a Megrez 72 & Atik 314l+ in guiderings imaging.

The only thing I would change is the mount they are sitting on from an EQ5 up to a HEQ5 as my setup works about 70% of the time but I loose those other subs as my mount it a little light weight.

Side by side. ST80 & QHY5 guiding with Maxim. C80ED & Atik 16 ics imaging. On HEQ5 pro.

I might try this finder-guider lark as the Explorer 200 isn't getting used due to weight issues. (Should have bought an EQ6)

I have a WO ZS70 and SW 100ED Pro on a tandem bar attached to an HEQ5 Pro. Depending on which scope I'm imaging with - I use the other one as the guide scope with a QHY5v and PHD. Previously I used an unmodded SP900NC.

This works fine in any combination but I currently feel that EQMOD pulse guiding gives me better results than ST4.

Steve

DSI IIC on a 500mm f8 telephoto lens (PHD) On CPC800/Megrez-72/500mm f8 multi setup)

DSI IC on an TS-OAG (PHD) on CPC800 for long FL imaging

Synguider on EQ66 - On Dual DSLR Setup with the HEQ5

DMK21AU04AS on various lenses (PHD) - on EQ3 Pro

and after a few hours in the "shop" yesterday Synguider on a Celestron 8x50 Finder in Custom Rings...

I Don't believe in wasting a deceent OTA by tying it up for guiding...

Peter...

NEQ6 Pro running off EZASCOM on a laptop

ADM SBS adaptor with a ST80 and QHY5 feeding PHD (when I get it working)

Canon 600mm prime lens and 5D MkII or 7D on the other side controlled with APT

Hmmm... should produce some nice images Something in the Fast Prime around 300-400mm would be really useful as well ... :)

Hmmm... should produce some nice images Something in the Fast Prime around 300-400mm would be really useful as well ... :)
like a 400 f2.8L or a 200 f1.8L and nope that's not a typo it is the Canon 200mm f1.8L :) , they are both stunning lens wide open and I use them a lot for wildlife work

Archived