NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Hello from South Leicestershire

Ayrton

I live half way between Hinckley and Lutterworth in Leicestershire. Sort of lucky cos whilst it is not that dark it's about as dark as it's going to get in this region.

I've ALWAYS been interested in the planets and the stars. I'm not old enough for moon landings but I remember being amazed watching that USA-USSR link up in the 70's, and news of the Voyager program, and Carl Sagan's Cosmos really sealed the deal for an impressionable teenager. I've always been a frequent if irregular viewer of The Sky At Night.

So how have I got to this age having never owned a scope or astronomical bins? I cannot explain. But I am about to put that right. So I am here to get some advice on selecting the right scope, and then for a bit more advice on getting the best out of it.

This place comes highly recommended so I'm sure I will enjoy my stay!

Hi Ayrton and welcome to SGL from Leicester :D

If you state your rough budget and aspirations we'll be able to give you some idea of your options.

Cheers.

Thanks for the welcome people.

I was orginally looking at a budget of up to about £300. I know that buys me a Skywatcher 200P Dobsonian which is going to collect a lot of light and teach me to find my own way around. But very bulky.

On the other hand if I pushed the budget a little I could stretch to a Skywatcher Skymax 127 Goto. A lot less bulky and the automation will let me hit the ground running and find more stuff more quickly. But less light so the things I do find will be less bright. And over budget. But I'm thinking that there will be times when I don't fancy dragging a Dobsonian out when I would be happy with the 'pick it up and go' nature of the smaller Maksutov.

What am I looking at, well I'm a noob, so I don't know what is practically possible. Seeing the moon and the planets in detail will be nice for a start, especially if I get some planetary moons too. Of course I'd like to see the deeper space stuff too, but I don't know what is realistic for my budget, I guess I'm just looking to eliminate as little as possible at this stage.

No requirement to take photos just yet. I know about terrestrial photography, that's hard enough, for the time being I'd rather just look around.

Anyhow thanks again for the welcome, any clues on what sort of kit I should look for - nothing I have said is set in stone yet - would be very welcome.

Archived