Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

My first real WOW moment

IvanT

Alignment wasn't great, but I couldn't believe it when this popped up on my screen.

M42Processed.jpg

I've only been at this for a few months, so I'm well impressed.

M42 15-10-2010 ISO 800 32x30 sec Light 15x30 sec Dark 0 Flat 0 Bias

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So having no idea how this imaging thing works...did you just use an adapter connected to your camera to the scope then just focus and snap?

or do you use the zoom on the camera too? do you see that picture on the back of your cameras lcd screen?

Apologies I just have no idea how this thing works but I'm getting very facinated by it, its a great photo.

steve

Oh I remember that feeling well :D Same target for me, I was jumping over the moon!

That's really nice, and to be honest, probably has a lot more to offer hidden away in there. I'd love to have a play with the stacked image as it comes out of DSS if you like? :)

Cheers

Tim

So having no idea how this imaging thing works...

I'm pretty much in the same boat Steve, I'm really only just getting started myself. I have to say though, I'd not be here after only 3 months were it not for the folks here on SGL and the superb advice they have to offer.

As for the method I used, here goes:

1) Camera connected (via T-Ring) direct to the scope.

2) Using a Hartman mask I made from my scope's supplied cover, I slewed to a nearby star, zoomed in 10x on the Canon viewfinder & focused, then locked down the focuser so I wouldn't accidentally nudge it.

3) Set the camera remote to take 1 sample sub (this was the one that blew me away). Then setup for the rest of the subs

4) Stacked in DSS & adjusted levels & curves a little in PS CS5.

Check out the articles section on Andy's Shot Glass. I found his vids very easy to follow & after watching them several times, things started to click.

I take it that you, like me, are now totally hooked on this hobby?? :)

I thought I was hooked before this Revs, but to actually capture something that doesn't look to bad is like the golf shot that keeps you coming back, occasionally you hit it right on the money :D

I'd love to have a play with the stacked image as it comes out of DSS if you like?

That'd be brilliant Tim, I too suspect that my photoshop skills haven't really done it justice. I've uploaded it here, it's 62.9Mb hopefully you won't have any problems accessing it, I've not tried sharing files from there before.

I'd be really interested to hear about the steps you took to improve on the image too.

Ivan

I'd be really interested to hear about the steps you took to improve on the image too.

Ivan

Of course, there's no saying I can improve it :) I'll go inside soon and download and play on my laptop, just setting up a run on the Soul nebula atm.

Well you have every right to be pleased, that is nice quality data, expecially given the unguided nature.

I use a program called Pixinsight along with PS to process the pictures. It helps bring back the core on bright objects like M42. Other than that its nothing but levels and curves, with a little noise reduction thrown in.

Hope you like it, its not really better, just different. I'll have a go just at the core of m42 too if I get a chance, to cut out all the noise in the background.

Next time, try to take bias and flat frames as well, you will find that the processing is a lot easier.

Cheers

post-14037-133877492967_thumb.jpg

Well you have every right to be pleased, that is nice quality data, expecially given the unguided nature

Fantastic, love what you've done with the core, I'll be looking into pixinsight. Thanks for taking the time to work with it. Much appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pixinsight is free to try, but make sure to get all the videos and tutorials first and read up, the 30 days they give you goes very fast!!! And its a whole new ball game to learn at first.

I think the trial is 45 days now but what TJ says still stands. There's a steep learning curve to PixInsight (I'm a short way up the hill from where you are :D ) so the various video's and tutorials are invaluable.

James

Archived