NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Is it just a Hobby?

Pauly

Or is it something more? I know for some it can be an obssesion, but I feel the word 'Hobby' undersells what we do? It obviously isn't a sport. I suppose it could be a science, but that would imply we are all scientists and I'm far too much of a duffer for that particular appelation. So what is it? :o

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Astronomy is beyond doubt a science. However, the purpose for which it is studied or practised, ( whether for research, education, exhibition or personal interest ) and the competency ( or lack thereof ) of the student or practitioner, are an entirely different matter.

Or is it something more? I know for some it can be an obssesion, but I feel the word 'Hobby' undersells what we do? It obviously isn't a sport. I suppose it could be a science, but that would imply we are all scientists and I'm far too much of a duffer for that particular appelation. So what is it? :o

No hobby, for most of us it's a way of life

Ron.:)

I reckon it's a "scientific hobby" and an "interesting/fun social activity". It's a great way to spend money you haven't got - and a huge investment for a relatively short amount of time. It's as passionate as a new car or dishwasher (depending on gender), and as obsessive as chocolate eclairs. If you didn't have a life before - it'll make you think you've got one now. Don't you just love it? lol :o

I'm allergic to the word 'hobby.' I have always loathed it for some reason. Is it because it reduces the activity some to complacent little pottering away that you do when doing something real like wash up or go to work?

For me my hobbies (YUK!!) are the most real things that I do. They are passions.

Lets hear it, PASSIONS!!!

Oh that feels better!

Olly

With all of my interests, I am quite happy to be called by a much-misunderstood word; an amateur. (which is a term used alongside the word "Hobby")

The original meaning comes from such a passion in partaking in an interest that renumeration seems a little base by comparision.

For that reason, I am a work-to-live person. :o

I agree with Olly and others that for many (myself included) this subject represents a passion most definitely!!!! Picking up Mel's comments, the money that can be spent certainly prevents me from buying high heeled shoes, make up and bags :headbang: and having just checked this with my other half.....it's probably for the best!!!!!! :o

The real big joy about this passion is that it so wide ranging, all of which can be enjoyed at so many levels, by all age groups, by both male and female around the world! Yet for all that, how difficult is it to find a local astronomy shop near to where you live?:icon_cool::D Thank goodness for the internet :):hello2:

James

Its an obsession for me too i think, a way of life now.

you know your hooked when you dream of events you've missed like the occultation of the Peilades (spelling!)

Astronomy is just that, my wife calls it my second marriage.

Some guys worship football, others cars or electricals. Me its the stars.

Simple.

Archived