Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Embarrassing Jupiters webcam clinic

Attached is a webcam image of Jupiter and three jovian moons; together with a much manipulated image via PhotoShop Elements 7

The original was taken through a 3 inch BCF terrestrial telescope with the webcam attached to the RAS thread which is exposed when the 'terrestrial eyepiece unit' is removed. I'm using one of the Morgan Phillips webcam (unmodifed) but running successfully under Win7.

Using cratelet I recorded a video at 640x480, @30fps, totalling 828 frames and 685mb. Because I did not have access to a laptop, the video was recorded through double glazed (unheated) bedroom windows!!

I used Registax 5.1.9.2 using the default alignment and 64 alignment box locked on Jupiter.

I opened the saved Registax image (jupiter & moons) in Pholoshop and using various layers, together with manipulation of the jovian moons in a separate frame ended up with the flattened image jupiter&moons02

I also tried multiple images boxes that I believed were locked on the jovian moons, but ended up with a crazy segmented image.

I also tried adjusting the many Registax variables to try and highlight the moons for Registrax processing, but to no avail. as they were all but invisible in the noise

I note that one of the correspondents in this clinic suggests using separate videos of Jupiter and its moons. How is this achieved, how does on block out Jupiter etc etc??

With the webcam running on manual (all automatic operations unticked) what determines the better settings for a given exposure?

I do not have a trackable telescope mount.

Any comments received with thanks

Hopefully my images are attached

regards

Tony Owen

Can't see your images Tony :)

Imaging Jupiter through a window with such a small scope and no tracking sounds like quite a challenge. I would be very surprised if you can produce any detail on Jupiter. What capture software are you using?

Though I've not done it myself I believe imaging Jupiters moons separately and then cropping them to a different Jupiter image is the best way of getting a quality Planet and moons result.

• Replies 630
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Have you flashed your spc880 to 900? Seems strange you can't change shutter speed unless your camera driver is not loaded properly. You have unchecked auto exposure?

On my 10" newt I use 1/50 shutter 50 Gain and 0 Gamma. I leave everything else unchanged.

yeh i flashed it and its showing as a spc900. when i first installed wx astrocapture im sure i changed the shutter speed but now it cant be changed whether its on full auto or auto exp.

i might uninstall or try a diff program, see if that works

Can't see your images Tony :)

Imaging Jupiter through a window with such a small scope and no tracking sounds like quite a challenge. I would be very surprised if you can produce any detail on Jupiter. What capture software are you using?

Though I've not done it myself I believe imaging Jupiters moons separately and then cropping them to a different Jupiter image is the best way of getting a quality Planet and moons result.

Stuart

I'm used Craterlet, but I've sharpcap and other programs on my computer.

Yes, the objective of my telescope is small, amd it has a 1200mm focal lenght. I accept its limitations, my questions relate to how I can maximize its output!!

I'm trying again to attach the two images, but if it doesn't work this time I can still use your given and future advice.

regards

Tony

jupiter & moons.tif

jupiter & moons 02.tif

Hello,

I've been having a go at imaging jupiter over the last few months. I have attached typical results but the problem I'm having is I'm struggling to improve on this.

I would be interested to know if with the scope/camera I have whether this would be what I should expect to achieve or if you think I should be able to get more detail.

Equipment/settings:

8 inch Skywatcher Explorer 200P Newtonian

2x or 3x Barlow (image from each attached)

No filters.

SPC900NC webcam

Sharpcap software

640x480 resolution. 10fps

Capture approx 3 min avis (using an RA motor drive on EQ5 mount). Stack in Registax using anything from 300 to 1000 images.

Any advice would be appreciated

Cheers,

Sam

Hello,

I've been having a go at imaging jupiter over the last few months. I have attached typical results but the problem I'm having is I'm struggling to improve on this.

I would be interested to know if with the scope/camera I have whether this would be what I should expect to achieve or if you think I should be able to get more detail.

Equipment/settings:

8 inch Skywatcher Explorer 200P Newtonian

2x or 3x Barlow (image from each attached)

No filters.

SPC900NC webcam

Sharpcap software

640x480 resolution. 10fps

Capture approx 3 min avis (using an RA motor drive on EQ5 mount). Stack in Registax using anything from 300 to 1000 images.

Any advice would be appreciated

Cheers,

Sam

There is a brilliant tutorial on here by kokatha man on registax, my first images looked just like yours, after the tutorial the same avi's produced pictures in a different league. Here's a link to it. http://stargazerslounge.com/primers-tutorials/110593-registax5-1-dbk21-colour-cam-tutorial.html

Thanks Paraman. Thats really helpful and encouraging you were able to make a good improvment.

I have been out tonight again and captured some more 3 minute avi's. The seeing was better tonight. I did a quick process and Registax and this time when I moved the sliders #2 and #3 it produced the image attached.

Thanks for your help. I'll try with the tutorial and see what happens.

Sam

post-22480-13387751607_thumb.jpg

Thanks Paraman. Thats really helpful and encouraging you were able to make a good improvment.

I have been out tonight again and captured some more 3 minute avi's. The seeing was better tonight. I did a quick process and Registax and this time when I moved the sliders #2 and #3 it produced the image attached.

Thanks for your help. I'll try with the tutorial and see what happens.

Sam

Your welcome, bit of an improvement or what?:)

Stuart

I'm used Craterlet, but I've sharpcap and other programs on my computer.

Yes, the objective of my telescope is small, amd it has a 1200mm focal lenght. I accept its limitations, my questions relate to how I can maximize its output!!

I'm trying again to attach the two images, but if it doesn't work this time I can still use your given and future advice.

regards

Tony

Got your images thanks John, sorry for delay been doing my own imaging. :)

Your images are over exposed so you need gamma set at 0 and Gain around 50. Shutter speed either 1/25 or 1/33. You can try the video cropping program "Castrator" this will fix the image for aligning in Registax as i would image there will be a lot of movement during the capture. Link to this software should be on page 1 of this thread.

Sam

Great improvement Sam! Looks like using RGB align on the wavelet tab would remove the blue tinge on your image too.

Thanks. I just got rid of that blue tinge using the RGB align. The more I use Registax the more I realise how powereful it is.

The effect of those sliders is amazing. I don't know how they work or what they do but they have an amazing effect. They seem to produce detail out of nothing. When I used them in the past they didn't work - I think that was becuase I didn't have enough frames - i was only able to capture the drift of the planet across the CCD. Now I can get 3 min video files they seem to work.

I need to put some time into understanding Registax more!

• 3 weeks later...

Right then, it was bound to happen eventually so here is my first go at Jupiter.

Now this was totally unguided just making a twist every now and then as it was heading off screen. Becuase of that I couldn't get as much as I would of liked out of processing but I can improve on that next time.

What I used was

Skywatcher 150PL

Phillips spc900

Sharpcap cature software

Castrator (really useful)

And 600 frames stacked in registax

Now I know I need more frames for one but I'm quite happy with my first go.

I was following 2 tutorials for registax but got a bit confused at wavelets as both were not too descriptive, will give kolkatha mans tutorial a try next I think.

I'm also not too sure with my SharpCap settings as they seem completely different than what I have read, my gamma was 3 and gain 0 but I got the image up, would the fact it was fimed in twighlight have much of an effect?.

Focus may also be an issue. So any pointers would be great, I know I can improve.

A big thanks for this thread by the way, totally awesome:icon_salut:

post-21042-133877525375_thumb.jpg

I think i'm going to add to this thread with my image....I have my 10yo son chomping at me for not 'getting it right mummy!!' :) I have tried getting better focus but tbh on my lappy screen, I can't really get a good 'focus' there's a certain 'spot' I find where the banding is visible and the rest is too blurred, BTW I am using the 150P-DS, x5 barlow and SPC900 webcam using Sharpcap and Registax....I would like to get more detail if I could....how can I do that? If I post the AVI would one of you more knowledgable fellows have a go and show me what it could look like? pretty please :)

This is the best I got out of 4 files

Bigjupe1-1.jpg

Right then, it was bound to happen eventually so here is my first go at Jupiter.

Now this was totally unguided just making a twist every now and then as it was heading off screen. Becuase of that I couldn't get as much as I would of liked out of processing but I can improve on that next time.

What I used was

Skywatcher 150PL

Phillips spc900

Sharpcap cature software

I was following 2 tutorials for registax but got a bit confused at wavelets as both were not too descriptive, will give kolkatha mans tutorial a try next I think.

I'm also not too sure with my SharpCap settings as they seem completely different than what I have read, my gamma was 3 and gain 0 but I got the image up, would the fact it was fimed in twighlight have much of an effect?.

Focus may also be an issue. So any pointers would be great, I know I can improve.

That's a blumming good image of Jupiter. Ok it is small and doesnt have much colour but that really doesnt matter because you have so much detail and it is tack sharp.

I REALLY like this image. It reminds me of how Jupiter looks through my 90mm scope........but has a bit more colour in it.

Thanks for posting it.

Here is MY 1st Jupiter image. Taken with a Canon 450D on a fixed tripod and magnified with the 10X zoom function of the camera. Its a single shot.

Its out of focus but i'm STILL very proud of it and LOVE showing it off.

post-18019-13387752691_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the comments :)

I was totally surprised at how it turned out considering all the faffing about I had to do to get it. When I first posted it here It was on my laptop and my eyes had started to give on me and it wasn't until the next morning looking at it on the PC I could truly appreciate it.

I managed to get a bit more from it out of PS and am super happy with the results.

http://stargazerslounge.com/imaging-planetary/127939-another-first-jupiter.html

Just wish it wasn't too late for Jupiter for me, I got one attempt and it's behind the trees now.

Also, that's a great image of Jupiter taken with the DSLR. I have never had that kind of luck with a single shot. Then again I don't have the zoom function either. I'd be really happy with that too. :)

And Celeste, that's a good first effort too, getting focus isn't easy, I don't think it ever resolves like it looks after it has been stacked on the capture screen at the time, mine was still a bit fuzzy when I processed it, I just tried to have it look as clear as possible.

I found a couple of registax tuourial on the first page of this thread extremely useful to follow, you just need to turn off all the auto processing step in registax before you start otherwise it does it all for you and doesn't turn out so great.

This is a good one...

http://www.davesastro.co.uk/techniques/registax_tutorial/index.html

It uses an older version but it is still easy enough to follow.

Hello all

This is my first attempt at imaging Jupiter - SPC880 using a LX90. A 3 min avi - about 800 frames used. Just starting to play with registax. Will try again with a 2x barlow next time the clouds clear.

vds-albums-planets-picture8873-my-first-attempt-capturing-jupiter-webcam.jpg

vds

What I used was

Skywatcher 150PL

Phillips spc900

Sharpcap cature software

Excellent image! Glad you are finding this thread useful. Gamma needs to be set at 0 btw only use Gain which should be around 50-60%. Certainly will be interesting to see what results you produce with a barlow. If you can see the moons of Jupiter clearly when in auto exposure (brightening image to reveal moons) then focus should be good.

I think i'm going to add to this thread with my image....I have my 10yo son chomping at me for not 'getting it right mummy!!' :) I have tried getting better focus but tbh on my lappy screen, I can't really get a good 'focus' there's a certain 'spot' I find where the banding is visible and the rest is too blurred, BTW I am using the 150P-DS, x5 barlow and SPC900 webcam using Sharpcap and Registax....I would like to get more detail if I could....how can I do that? If I post the AVI would one of you more knowledgable fellows have a go and show me what it could look like? pretty please :(

This is the best I got out of 4 files

Lots of detail there but a tad noisy so I would suspect not enough frames stacked? I normally stack at least 500. By all means post your AVI and I will have a play with it.

Hello all

This is my first attempt at imaging Jupiter - SPC880 using a LX90. A 3 min avi - about 800 frames used. Just starting to play with registax. Will try again with a 2x barlow next time the clouds clear.

Great effort! Jupiter is on its last legs now but you've got a very good image!

if you are using a 150p try a 2x barlow for image size and alittle more detail, with planets the idea is to get the focal ratio up to something like f30 ish difficult if you have a f5 scope, easier with a mak "f15" or sct "f10" i find if i use a 5x barlow the image is alittle dark and grainy but a good scale increase, also on Jupiter go for no more than 2 minutes worth of avi`s as the planet rotates so fast 2 minutes is about the max you will get without it going blurry.

if you are using a 150p try a 2x barlow for image size and alittle more detail, with planets the idea is to get the focal ratio up to something like f30 ish difficult if you have a f5 scope, easier with a mak "f15" or sct "f10" i find if i use a 5x barlow the image is alittle dark and grainy but a good scale increase, also on Jupiter go for no more than 2 minutes worth of avi`s as the planet rotates so fast 2 minutes is about the max you will get without it going blurry.

Rotational blur is only an issue when focal length is up to 10 meters 3-4 min avis are fine for a 5x Barlow and 150p. Neil Philips told me that :(

Hi Stuart,

I know this is for web cam's but I was hoping to have ago at Jup with my Meade DSI, I know it won't compare to a webcam, but have you ever heard of anyone getting decent results with one?

Also I think I might be pushing it here with my scope as it is an ED80 so say I used a 5x barlow I would be looking at a 3000mm f/37.5 would that be a problem?

Thanks,

Michael

Archived