Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

My Super10 EP has been fried!

Coming home from work today i was (at first!) pleased that my brother was visiting. He knows that he can come and go at my home as he pleases, hes my bro after all, but thats soon to change.

He must have decided that, as the sun is out, its a nice day, ive got some astronomy equipment, and seeing as he never stays late into the evening, he would try observing the SUN!. Now, he obviously thought about the perils that can befall his eyes, as he dismantled my welding mask so as to take out the dark glass that shields your eyes from the arc light,(strike one), so he could place said dark glass between the EP and his eye. On setting up my skywatcher scope out on the decking , he managed to scratch (read: GOUGE!) the scope tube that has left a dent in the body, (strike two). He said he focused it as best he could on some cloud so that it would be "almost" in focus for the sun, then turned the scope directly onto the sun itself.

He said that he was able to see a small group of dark spots on the lower half of the sun, then he said he could smell burning.........:)(STRIKE THREE...YOUR OUTTA HERE!)

yep, the sunlight was focused to a point perfectly on the EP itself, and i dont want to think about the temperature it got to before he noticed. Talk about stretching brotherly love to the limits! He said he wont replace the EP as it should have had a warning on it (!) saying not for looking at the sun. So...........does anybody know if the EP can be rescued? Slim chance i know. It looks as though the plastic (?) ring that holds the lens in took all the energy and melted. When looking through it the images appear to be permanently out of focus and looks like you are looking through cloud. (Hazy). So from this i think the lens is totalled too, but i live in hope as i cannot afford a replacement for quite a while yet!

Any suggestions on how to save the EP, or how to torture my brother, will be read with great interest!

Clear skies my friends.

Gary

I know it's not really funny, but the mental picture of a guy in a welding masking looking into a scope in your garden.........

I bet the chances of burglars was rather reduced that day .....back away slowly lads.....

seriously though it's a relief he had the good sense to protect his eyes. I'd buy a Televue eyepiece if I were you - 'that's all they had, honest....' :)

The eyepiece has had it I'm afraid Gary - luckily they are cheap to buy - get a few more posts, pop a wanted ad in the classifieds section and you should get one for a very low price. If I had a spare one of those you could have it for the postage cost - unfortunately I've not got one at the moment.

Your brother needs to develop some respect for other peoples posessions as well as some common sense !.

I know it's not really funny, but the mental picture of a guy in a welding masking looking into a scope in your garden.........

I bet the chances of burglars was rather reduced that day .....back away slowly lads.....

Lol, I know what you mean!:) "beyond that gate be nutters i tell ye..."

Thats a kind offer Peter :p

Extremely! "The great and the good", couldnt be a more apt description of the type of people that frequent this great forum, not to mention Astronomers in general.

Thank you all for your replies, and a special thank you to Peter.;):)

Coming home from work today i was (at first!) pleased that my brother was visiting. He knows that he can come and go at my home as he pleases, hes my bro after all, but thats soon to change.

He must have decided that, as the sun is out, its a nice day, ive got some astronomy equipment, and seeing as he never stays late into the evening, he would try observing the SUN!. Now, he obviously thought about the perils that can befall his eyes, as he dismantled my welding mask so as to take out the dark glass that shields your eyes from the arc light,(strike one), so he could place said dark glass between the EP and his eye. On setting up my skywatcher scope out on the decking , he managed to scratch (read: GOUGE!) the scope tube that has left a dent in the body, (strike two). He said he focused it as best he could on some cloud so that it would be "almost" in focus for the sun, then turned the scope directly onto the sun itself.

He said that he was able to see a small group of dark spots on the lower half of the sun, then he said he could smell burning.........:)(STRIKE THREE...YOUR OUTTA HERE!)

yep, the sunlight was focused to a point perfectly on the EP itself, and i dont want to think about the temperature it got to before he noticed. Talk about stretching brotherly love to the limits! He said he wont replace the EP as it should have had a warning on it (!) saying not for looking at the sun. So...........does anybody know if the EP can be rescued? Slim chance i know. It looks as though the plastic (?) ring that holds the lens in took all the energy and melted. When looking through it the images appear to be permanently out of focus and looks like you are looking through cloud. (Hazy). So from this i think the lens is totalled too, but i live in hope as i cannot afford a replacement for quite a while yet!

Any suggestions on how to save the EP, or how to torture my brother, will be read with great interest!

Clear skies my friends.

Gary

Having just watched an episode of mythbusters I would suggest that staking him out over growing bamboo shoots would be appropriate ;) or maybe the old standby of gonads in the blender?

I'm glad your brother can still see, but i think its only fair that he pays for a new EP.

Now i know why i lock away my bows and arrows when i am not in the house. Not because they can get broken but they can seriously damage your health is misused.

My nephew has a key and could drop in at any time and decide to do a Robin Hood.

Now i know why i lock away my bows and arrows when i am not in the house. Not because they can get broken but they can seriously damage your health is misused.

My nephew has a key and could drop in at any time and decide to do a Robin Hood.

Doesnt bear thinking about does it. When i used to shoot airgun field target competitively, i never kept my rifles and ammunition in the same place. Rifles locked in the gunsafe, ammo locked in a safe in the garage.:)

Archived