Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

EQ mount

Stardust

Hi Guys

I'm using an 85mm refractor on a vixen porta mount, which is great for grab and go. However some tracking would be easier for extended viewing and maybe a dabble in photography, but what's the best way to go. I don't want a heavy massive mount so I thought about a driven eq3-2 or an eq5. Go-to would be nice but I'd rather have a decent mount than a cheap computer that causes me nothing but frustration. What do you recommend, or not as the case maybe??

thanks

DAve

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

An eq3-2 is more than enough for a 85mm refractor. However should you upgrade to something larger then the eq3-2 might be a little small. An eq5 is a nice mount and not that larger than the eq3-2. An alternative if you want goto is the celestron CG5 but be warned it's noisy! If you want lightweight however you can perhaps consider the 102SLT which is a 4" refractor on a goto mount that can just about carry it hehe

I have an EQ5 and although I have never had any other mounts, it seems pretty solid and copes with my 8" Newt no problems. I have got motor drives on both axes and just a rough point north seems to stop things drifting (Well for a short time, like a few minutes). I think you can also upgrade the EQ5 to full GoTo but the cost seems to be around £400

Skyscan is supposed to be on the way for the EQ5 and the EQ3. I had an EQ5 for years and then briefly, had an EQ3. For me the EQ5 is only a small step up the ladder from the EQ3. The step up from EQ5 to HEQ5 is a bigger step. And the step up to EQ6 is huge.

The EQ5 is a good mount though and worked really with the 120 refractor and Skymax 127. Wasn't so happy with the Skywatcher 8" Newt though. The image danced around the screen while trying to image the planets. That's what made me go for the EQ6. But if you are not into imaging the EQ5 is fine with an 8".

Before considering a new EQ5, it's worth noting that by the time you add the dual drives the EQ5 is not that cheap. Certainly worth the extra for the HEQ5. Plus the HEQ5 is a much neater mount. The drives are nicely packed away inside the mount and there's no mass of cables just waiting to be broken.

Regards

Russ

I bought my heq5 from perseu. They are cheap, till you add the shipping - it cost me just under £100 to get it over here.

So that pushes the cost up to £460. Suddenly not that cheap!

I had both EQ3 and EQ5 for a while... IMO the eq3 was a better smoother mount than the EQ5 but didn't have the weight carrying ability.

Ant

Archived