Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Another M57 - 2nd ever image captured

MarkF

After a not so clever M13 I grabbed the opportunity last week to image M57 in LRGB 180 secs X 16 unbinned on all four filters, plus darks and then bias for the RGB bit, not sure if that was right or not.

Lots of good feedback from SlySi84 which got me to this image, not sure I overdid the unsharpen and mask bit on the ring, but for a bottom the range mono Atik camera through an 80mm refractor I am pleased with it. Still a lot to learn and critique and advice as ever welcome.

post-19347-133877480665_thumb.jpg

Thanks guys, positive comments are great, I didn't know if I was going in the right direction or not, I sweated blood and tears over stacking and processing this one not to mention the actual capture :blob10:

Thanks for the encouragement I needed it :)

Thanks again for the positive comments, M27 is hopefully the next target once it crosses my meridian that is, caught me out last week as the mount hit the limits during a capture. Now I have read why :blob10: and need to plan ahead a bit more, its all starting to make a little bit more sense.

You can even make out galaxy IC1296 (Mag. 15.1) at about the 7 o'clock position, half way towards the bottom edge.

Yes, I noticed that too, I was very pleased to see that appear.

Very cool. Much better than my attempt. I took your image and over layed it on mine in an attempt to find IC1296. I found it on mine, but it is VERY VERY faint.

Nice job!

Different cameras and different techniques I guess, if we persevere we will get there eventually :) I think you are brave for going unguided I didn't even bother attempting unguided imaging, I won't show you the images taken when I thought it was being guided and it wasn't. :blob10:

Excellent image for your second attempt, Looks like the overall colour balance is good and the tracking was working well. Background lightness looks about right, may be worth experimenting with the colour balance in the darker areas to ensure it is as uniform as possible.

Thanks guys, well chuffed with this one and chomping at the bit to tweak my capture skills to have a fighting chance of improving the post processing techniques.

Excellent image for your second attempt, Looks like the overall colour balance is good and the tracking was working well. Background lightness looks about right, may be worth experimenting with the colour balance in the darker areas to ensure it is as uniform as possible.

Haven't a clue how to do that, but I am sure I will learn, lot of hit and miss and luck getting this one done, and as we share the same family name I will of course take your suggestion up and have a play and read about colour balance :D practice makes perfect as they say.

Mark that's a real result - 180sec subs! and 80mm? Wow. Really nice clear central star and some veins in the nebulosity. Very cool.

My first/second/third shot of M57 looked like it was out of an acme box in a Road Runner cartoon! :) You've inspired me to have another go.

Well done sir.

Archived