Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Sorry but theres a million and one things I need to know

1.... haha

2 Does the telescope require batteries if so where do they go?

3 Reading on the forum , what are flats

4 How do I even point it

5 how do the weights work

6 what are all the handles for (turny things)

7 I think i'm completely lost do you

8 Do you take the cover off the big tube to view or just the little round caps

9 Where do the eye pieces go (ie on the long one the viewer/spotter one or the small one that sticks out underneath?)

10 what is the other screw thread for halfway down the tube on the top?

next 10 next time lol

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1 Uh oh!!

2 The scope no. The mount maybe, has it motors?

3 Flats: Astrophotography, forget for now.

4 Like a gun, point the tube central axis at whatever.

5 They act as counter balances to the scope, black art.

6 Not a clue, don't know the scope.

7 About 15% has some idea, 85% lost.

8 Yep, take the big one off. That's where the light comes in.

9 On the bit that sticks out from the scope at what "should" be the top. Top = other end to the mirror which should be the bottom. For a reflector you look "into" the scope not along it.

10 Don't know. Leave it alone.

next 10 next time lol (Rats)

1.... haha

2 Does the telescope require batteries if so where do they go?

3 Reading on the forum , what are flats

4 How do I even point it

5 how do the weights work

6 what are all the handles for (turny things)

7 I think i'm completely lost do you

8 Do you take the cover off the big tube to view or just the little round caps

9 Where do the eye pieces go (ie on the long one the viewer/spotter one or the small one that sticks out underneath?)

10 what is the other screw thread for halfway down the tube on the top?

next 10 next time lol

10. I'm a newbie too, but I think I have one of them. If it's the same thing, it's a camera tripod screw for use for mounting a camera as if it's on a tripod. As others have said. Wait a bit before using :o

9: Guess that the bit sticking out underneath is the eyepiece holder. The scope/tube needs rotating so that it is sticking out to the side.

There are 2 "bands" that go round the scope.

Get the scope level.

Loosen the "bands" and rotate the scope carefully until this holder is pointing "sideways".

Tighten up the bands again.

Still have no idea what the "handles" (6) are? :o

Revenge = wait until you come to collimation.:):evil6::D

Visit the Sherwoods Photographic site and have a look at the picture on their site of your scope. ;)

Then try to set yours up in much the same way.:p

Any clubs around you (fedastro.org is a start for these.):o

Almost ready for the next 10.:eek::evil6::(

Collimation:= The other 999,999 things you really don't want to know.:):icon_scratch::D

Hahaha @ proto star

12 Can you see the planets and such in the daytime?

13 Can you look at the moon without a moon filter?

14 How do you know which eye piece to use and where do you attach it to, as the hole is bigger than the eye pieces?

15 Does it matter if there is cloud during the night ? ( I guess it's not good ona windy rainy night)

16 Is it better to go to an open field than stay in your garden or a hilltop?

17 what are the two holes when you take off the small caps on the tube for?

18 is the view from the telescope different when different people look through it?

19 How do you view the sun (I know you need filters but do you need a special eye piece also?

20 How far does the telescope I have see clearly (skywatcher 150pl)?

Newbie myself but:

12. No

13. Yes

14? Sounds like you focuser is not the same size as your eyepieces?

15 Les cloud the better, but with a bit of cloud you can still view

16 Darker and less light the better

17 I think these are for viewing the moon to reduce the amount of light coming in

18 no

19 dont know much about that I am afraid

20 how far away are stars...

14 How do you know which eye piece to use and where do you attach it to, as the hole is bigger than the eye pieces?

The focuser is for 2 inch eyepieces but your scope should have come with an adapter that slots into the 2 inch hole and allows 1.25 inch eyepieces to be inserted. Check your packaging and the bits you have. It looks like a big polo mint. It's not made of mint though. :blob10:

19. You don't. Not yet anyway. You'll need a solar filter that fits on the front of the scope where the light enters it. Get some expert advice from the guys at FLO. Don't try this until you've done some research, have the right equipment and are use to your mount.

Mark

Hahaha @ proto star

12 Can you see the planets and such in the daytime? Sometimes the moon, but not much else

13 Can you look at the moon without a moon filter? Yes, but it's VERY bright. Not advised.

14 How do you know which eye piece to use and where do you attach it to, as the hole is bigger than the eye pieces? Basically the lower the number on the eyepiece the more it 'zooms' in. The best way to learn is to try

15 Does it matter if there is cloud during the night ? ( I guess it's not good on a windy rainy night) Keep your scope dry! The less cloud the better. More that a little will put a stop to your viewing. And wind will make your scope wobble, which is a pain.

16 Is it better to go to an open field than stay in your garden or a hilltop? Anywhere will do, but the further from lights the better

17 what are the two holes when you take off the small caps on the tube for? Not sure which holes you mean

18 is the view from the telescope different when different people look through it? No, but a slight re-focus may be required, though

19 How do you view the sun (I know you need filters but do you need a special eye piece also? It's extremely important that you know what you're doing before looking at the sun. Until you know exactly what's required, don't point your scope anywhere near it for your eyes sake.

20 How far does the telescope I have see clearly (skywatcher 150pl)? Forever! The limiting factor is how bright the object you're looking at is

Hope this helps :blob10:

Thanx for all the answers :blob10:

The big cap on the tube has two little caps (what are these for?) is what I meant

Never heard of Croma Kelling heath but will look it up :)

I'm learning all the time I have been looking through my bino's the last couple of nights but they shake etc very cloudy tonight so it's a no no

The two holes are a focus aid. You leave the big cover in place, then remove the small caps. Point at a bright star, and focus until the two stars you will see converge into one.

The focus is then set. Re check it now and again, as temperature changes wll affect focus. Not a lot, but enough.

Once focused, remove the big cover.

Ron.

The two holes are a focus aid. You leave the big cover in place, then remove the small caps. Point at a bright star, and focus until the two stars you will see converge into one.

The focus is then set. Re check it now and again, as temperature changes wll affect focus. Not a lot, but enough.

Once focused, remove the big cover.

Ron.

Thanx Barkis :blob10:

Can you focus it at anything or does it have to be a star?

• 3 weeks later...

Another question (sorry) what is the numbered dial for at the top of the tripod for? it has a black numbered sequence and then it turns along a dial and you can take the cap off and it has what I thought could be where an eyepiece attaches, this has stumped me to what it does

Archived