NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

jupiter sept 1st sharpest so far

neil phillips

That is unbelievable! I remember when I was young(!) seeing pictures of Jupiter taken with the 200inch on Mount Palomar. They were just feeble compared to this. Fantastic!

Well, being single shot film images, you're right...Sadly Mt Palomar will now open up the biggest can of whupass you've ever seen on most objects compared to amateurs...their AO system is quite staggering, and if you saw what it did on the Moon recently, nothing amateurs currently have comes close. And...it's only getting better with the Palm3000 system inbound.

WebHome < Palomar/Palm3000 < TWiki

Though, even they (that is the Caltech team) said that amateurs are now doing stuff that the pros were doing 10-15 years ago, and that is true to a huge extent. I was lucky enough to show them examples of Damian and Pete Lawrences work on Jupiter/Saturn and the Moon. I did a pop quiz with them at a meeting in Caltech, and showed them 4 images, 3 taken by amateurs, one by Voyager 2...They didn't guess which was the spaceprobe image.. that's how good amateur imaging is now..

So..Neil, Superb...superb stuff. and you're right, next year, even better!

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Im amazed and staggerd at the interest this shot has seemed to generate. Also would be lieing if i said i wasnt chuffed, really starting to feel with all your comments i might be starting to achieve something.

Dont be fooled by the size though guys i did mention it was a resize but i purposely didnt mention what size. as often that can seem to cloud peoples veiw point which to me is just plain wrong,

because not only do i think it is sometimes better to up scale a very sharp capture, than to process a blurry higher scale shot.

But i belive there often can be benefits to the amount of detail that is easily seperated by the eye ( especially if like me your getting on a bit with glasses lol )

And its not just about show, look how big my jupiter image is type thinking, but i actually experimented downsizing more, and call me old, but i was comvinced i could see more at this size, so why not if it works.

And i think these reponses by everyone once and for all tends to prove that.

im not particulaly interested that the texture looks better at 100% or much much sharper ( which it clearly does ) but the tiny details on view especially on the poles really do became much harder to see. Some may still say, i prefer the lower sized shot, for the reasons of texture and sharpness and REALNESS. But for those reasons, i prefer a 100% scaled shot too.

But not at the expense of losing all that easy seperation of fine details that upscaled images done well can produce. For me its about getting the most out of your image, and occassionaly ( though not always ) im achieving that.

Its often like a dirty word in astronomy, upscaled YUK DID YOU HAVE TO, PLAY THE GAME. No cheating now Neil lol. ect ect.

Im hoping im slowly changing peoples veiws or otherwise on the merits of good up sizing. It seems ironic to me that the image that generated the most comments,

WAS THE LOWER POWER SHOT UPSCALED THE MOST

Think that says it all really doesnt it.

Thanks everyone, im really pleased that the image has generated so much interest, and feel like ive achieved something a lot of hard work this year is starting to pay off.

Fay the DBK is the bog standard one 640 x 480 chip

Top house you would be amazed how little i actually know ( still waiting for that house offer )

Nick we have come a long way in our gardens havent we. Found your read very interesting amazing they struggled to tell. but the quality imagers you mention really are somewhat of heroes to me. and have inspired me from day one to get better, and i wont ever stop that goal ( actually trying as i wtite this ) just wish i was rich, which im not, money to match my enthusiasm would be nice. But in some ways im proud of that fact

Now stop the posts guys, give some one else a chance, feels like im stealing all the comments now.

Neil, the highest complement I could pay you is that had someone said to me that image was taken by Damian/Dave Tyler/Pete etc...I would have believed it.. so well done

Now...imaging details on Europa/Io and Ganymede should be your next challenge.. and Europa will not be that easy...:-)

I agree Nick that is a challenge worth going towards i had traces of detail on one of the moons on a shot i havent posted, but was only barely percetable, and this is one area where upscaling is a huge disadvantage. Because the resolution doesnt really increase, just the seperation, so Here high power for scale is pretty much needed and Pete and the other guys you mention do this week in week out.

single shot colour cameras Nick with only 10" apeture somewhat struggle to get to those dizzy magnifications needed. i have routinely managed sharp shots of mars at 10 meters with a webcam so i know the system can do it. ( the guys you mention go higher than this, Petes a master at power ) but generally this year higher powers have been suffereing on jupiter for me especially under those calm misty nights of poor transparency but exccelent seeing recently. the noise levels are just too much for single colour Nick. But that is soon to change i hope. I now have a DMK again ( thank you John ) when i can affordf it i may well get the new HAD chip installed. But even a DMK is so much more sensetive. that im hoping under good seeing those higher powers will be coming. But it has to be right and has to be sharp, No point otherwise its useless wasted power. We shall see in time how far i can push this 10" Untill the day i win the lotto and get a C14

We really do have some of the gratest amatuers in the world in the uk. If it wasnt for those guys, not sure i would have tried to go the distance and maybe learn somethings along the way.

there wonderful shots just excited me to try and join in, and improve, because lets face it what they achieve week in week out, isnt always as easy as what they make it appear, . Thanks goes out to all of them for making astronomy in this country so exciting

What a great week

That is one hell of a shot Neil :blob10:

Right up there with the best. POTW material at the very least.

I was very interested in whay you were saying about upscaling, as this undoubtedly applies in DSO work too.

I plan to start doing some planetary and lunar work before too long, and will no doubt be pestering you with questions :)

Cheers

Rob

• 2 weeks later...
Damian's in Barbados with a PGFlea 3...that's how :-)

Just seen some provisional single channel data...OMG!

Point taken. Perhaps i should have re-phrased it:

Incredible image Neil. Hard to see how that could be topped by another UK based image.

Archived