Sawbona ( hello in Zulu)

Astrobits

Hi All. I'm from the U.K. but been living here in the outer spiral arms of Durban, South Africa since 2003. Our observing season is essentially the Winter as Spring and summer are usually cloudy in the p.m. and evening.Autumn is a bit of a mixture. Unfortunately, winter is so dry that we get a lot of dust in the atmosphere and there are a lot of grass fires ( and sugar cane fields that are burnt before harvesting ) that generates a lot of smoke. However, that does not put us off observing.

I have been interested in astronomy for ove 50 years starting with the proverbial two lenses and a cardboard tube:). I currently have a 16" Dobsonian ( made it myself ), 80 and 90mm refractors, a handful of binoculars and Canon 450D camera.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi Astrobits, welcome to SGL, how are your views of the Southern Cross?

Brilliant. Here's a pic I took at the beginning of July. The Southern Cross is just going behind the tree and the Coal Sack and pointers are above it. Canon 450D, 30 secs at f/4.6, 1600 iso, no tracking-on a tripod.

post-20633-133877469992_thumb.jpg

A truly stunning piece of sky, here's a pic I took three years ago from Angola (Canon EOS 30D 16 - 35 zoom 35seconds at iso3200 f2.8)

Sadly we don't get many opportunities for nights like these over here!

Note I had to get the tree lopped off to improve the view......

post-20098-13387747005_thumb.jpg

Archived