Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hi from Northern Ireland

IvanT

Hey guys,

Completely new to astronomy, have always been fascinated with the night sky & am an avid watcher of Sky documentaries on the subject. So thought I'd get off my butt and try observing.

Had a bit of a shaky start when I made a hasty Argos purchase of an NG76AZ. After a few nights waiting for the clouds to clear got it setup and was very disappointed. Wasn't sure if my expectations were simply too high, so did some research (I know, I know, should have done the research first) and found a post on the forums (not sure if it was SGL or not), the closing summary "I'm sorry, but junk is junk" which followed one members review tipped me over the edge. He wasn't on his own with criticism of the NG. Thank you Argos for your no quibble returns policy.

So, some more research & I've ordered and am eagerly awaiting delivery of a Skywatcher Skyliner 200P Dobsonian from First Light Optics. FLO pointed me in the direction of you guys, looking forward to lurking until I get to the point where I have something to contribute which may take a while :p

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good choice Ivan, you'll love it and welcome to the Lounge. Plenty of advice and encouragement, let us know about your first light experiences and any questions you want answering just ask on the beginners section.

JohnH.

Hi Ivan and welcome to the forum.

It can be a tricky subject buying kit, knowing what to buy, will it match your expectations of what you want to see but I'm glad it worked out for you in the end because your new scope will be so much better.

Let us know how you get on, what you saw and how you felt about it. You certainly don't have to be an expert to enjoy the nights sky and there is certainly plenty of it to see (....once this cloud has lifted!)

Clear skies

James

Hi Ivan, good choice of scope. We all make mistakes with equipment but when you look through your new 200 dob I think you'll be impressed with the difference from the NG76AZ. You may say "Wow!" once or twice :p

Welcome to SGL.

Let us know how you get on with the dob.

Mark

Hi Ivan and welcome to the group. :p

That's a great scope and despite the initial mistake at least you got your cash back so no harm done.

If you don't have it allready then download Stellarium free planetarium software - it's terrific. A good book will help - I got "Turn Left at Orion". And indispensible on a push to dob is a Wixey angle guage. Just set Alt of the object you're looking for and sweep in AZ. Let us know how you get on.

Cheers :)

Archived