New from Cumbria

Dreamsphere

Greetings all. I'm fortunate to live on the edge of the beautiful Eden Valley in Cumbria in a small village with almost no light pollution.

I've owned a Meade ETX-125 PE for about four years but haven't got very far with it due to a health hiccup (mine not the tel;escope!) but am looking forward to gaining some experience this year and beyond. I'm a keen digital photographer so the imaging side of astronomy appeals greatly.

I've recently attended talks at my 'local' Astronomical Societies (Cockermouth and Eddington (Kendal), both of which were illuminating and welcoming and I look forward to attending their regular meetings.

I've also just joined the Cumbrian Skies here in the Astro Lounge with the hope of making local contacts who might point me in the right direction (excuse the pun!).

Hope to get to know some of you here over time and thanks to the moderators for creating the forum.

Best wishes.

Martin

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello Martin.

Welcome to the SGL Forums. I hope you enjoy it here.

The rapid growth of the membership to almost 8,000, says that we must be doing something right.:D

I reside in Carlisle, and I know Stuart Atkinson very well. He started up the Cockermouth Astro Society, and made it very popular indeed. I know he was, and probably still is engaged in a lot of Outreach activities, and takes Astronomy into schools.

He moved to Kendal, and the Eddington Astronomical Society.

I don't know if you have been to the Trinity Observatory in Carlisle, which is run by the Border Astro Society. The Obs. has a 16"f6 reflector installed.

Plenty of help here, and you just need to ask, and lots of very willing assistance will be there for you.

Ron.:)

Hello Martin, Welcome to the SGL and Cumbrian Skies :)

There are some very helpful people on here and only willing to point you in the right direction. Glad you have made contact with those societies I'm sure you will find all the help you need there.

Welcome on Board.

Ray

Barrow in Furness

Thank you all for the very warm welcome. I feel privileged to being a part of this fabulous community and it's rich wealth of knowledge and experience.

Anyone here in contact with the local weather gods? :p

Kindest regards

Martin

Archived