Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

which will give truely better planetary images

Hello everyone.

I have just aquired a meade etx-90.Now honestly beside the more magnification you can get with the etx which one will give the better planetary visual images?

LIke detail and sharpness.

Etx-90 or my c80ed.

Reason is i dont think i need both scopes and wondering which one to get rid of if i decide to sell,not had chance to try etx yet but tried artificial star test and its superbly collimated in and out of focus test,if thats anything to go by.

Thanks Gary

Have the ETX 105 and it is nice but the filed of view is narrow and this tends to give me most problems. Simply stars do not always appear in the field of view. Bought a 40mm to help with this.

The smaller refractor I have is muh easier to use and I get good views out of it. Your 80ED should be better.

I would go with the 80ED. (Thats a lie I would keep both:D:D)

Suppose that with a 32mm eyepiece and careful setting up then using the position update function the location foibles could be overcome and you would have a nice little goto.

Haven't really help much have I? :mad::evil6::D

Theoretically the central obstruction in the Meade will soften the image a little negating the extra aperture. However I think it will be very close.

I just like refractors which is why I would go with the Celestron.

BTW I have a C100ED F/9 and optically it's really good.

Gaz

seriously, try a large dob before you spend any more money. you'd be more than welcome to come round here sometime later in the month (when the clouds clear - hows that for optimism?! and Jupiter has risen a bit) and view eg M13, Jupiter or the moon or whatever's on view etc through my dob with my 13mm Ethos (I'll have it by then and it's worth waiting for). you'll be surprised. it will also give you more options in my view. bring along both or one of yours if you like and compare.

Shane i will take you up on that mate;)got the etx out now just trying the alignment on it,going to leave it out till later for jupiter,looks pretty good till about 7am according to forcast.

I did have an 8inch dob,loved it but as you probably know its a matter of trying everything then decide whats suited the best.

Russ

I like it :D i did like mine but i think the 150pl will out do it,so didnt need 2 scopes that will give similar planetary results :mad:

I reckon your all right,i will regret it if i do sell either one :eek:

Got a skywatcher synscan goto mount coming tomorrow for my c80ed to sit on,i guessed it would of some use so i bought it,any views on this?

Would it make do for planetary webcam stuff?

Thanks Gaz

ETX optics are superb. I really liked my Etx90 ota, and using Hyperion eyepieces got over the narrow view. Some of my best planet images were with the that scope. If you not an imager I cant see the point of the ED80 (hence why mine went)

Rob

Gaz, if you really want to try your hand at a bit of imaging, forget the ED80/ETX90/Synscan AZ. Add an Accufocus to the 150PL and a set of drives to the CG4. You'll get some truly good results.

edit - probably no to the 150PL on the Synscan AZ, wobbly would be an understatement :mad:

but still up and back to jupiter,ok i have had both out tonight and i would say my views through the c80ed are better than the etx-90.more contrast and brighter too for the same magnification on each.

i just love the c80ed it never fails to amaze me :mad:

seeing conditions tonight are good, stable and steady atmosphere.

Archived