Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Another hello.

niknak

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Niknak

welcome to the forum if you feel you have the time build the dob nothing will give you greater pleasure than looking through it when it is built.

but if it a quick hit you are after the 125 is a nice starting scope that will do most jobs.

Grahame

First of all....

I just wanted to say a really big thank you to everyone who has given me such a warm welcome to SGL. Thanks folks.

It really does make a difference to find a friendly little spot on the net :eek:

Welcome to SGL Niknak

build the Dob build the Dob how big is gonna be :eek:

It is very tempting. I have an 8" mirror set but a friend of mine has a 16" !!!!!!! mirror set he keeps threatening to sling my way.

Now that's a big dob !!!

Trouble is ....... as I'm currently "sans scope" I'm not sure I can wait for the length of time necessary to build a bucket.

But if I spend all my wad on the 125etx the dob is out the window.

Hmmmm

Decisions decisions !

I suppose I could buy a cheaper scope for the quick fix and then make a start on the dob ???

Any futher opinions out there ????

;)

Find a way of getting them both lol Borrow the money or pay by installments - those 16" mirrors will make a very nice project.

If the ETX is new - get it on terms (I'm assuming you have a job and can make regular payments).

Alternatively - for go the ETX - you don't need all that computerisation - get a £200 manual scope (eg a 150P maybe with tracking) that'll keep you happy for many months whilst getting going on the "bucket".

Either way you gotta get the 16" lol :eek:

It is very tempting. I have an 8" mirror set but a friend of mine has a 16" !!!!!!! mirror set he keeps threatening to sling my way.

Now that's a big dob !!!

Trouble is ....... as I'm currently "sans scope" I'm not sure I can wait for the length of time necessary to build a bucket.

But if I spend all my wad on the 125etx the dob is out the window.

Hmmmm

Decisions decisions !

I suppose I could buy a cheaper scope for the quick fix and then make a start on the dob ???

Any futher opinions out there ????

:eek:

Argh, the agony! ;)

I was in the same position as you. I have a telescope, but wanted more aperture and the best way I thought I could do it was to make my own. Events conspired against me, and sadly, the plans I had to complete it within a time frame failed as I have other projects on the go and only have 24 hours to the day - I also did some maths and realised that some factory made telescopes were being sold cheaper than a DIY one!

Once upon a time, it was cheaper to make your own - well, that was a major motivation for me, (not the main motivation though).

Impatience got the better of me, and I have actually bought a bigger telescope with some money I saved. I still want to build my own Newtonian, but now I can collect the parts (focusser, secondary spider, cell, etc) at my own leisure and take the time to look out for good deals. This advice was given to me by a wise and fabulous SGL member, it isn't my own idea! :icon_eek:

Here are some suggestions:

Of course, your could buy a used optical tube assembly of your desired aperture and make a dob base for it - or look out for a well loved and careworn scope and restore it to it's former glory..

Archived