NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Nights Start to Draw in!

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I cannot wait as well. I hate this time of year as it never really gets dark does it. Roll on those sub freezing nights and then I'll moan it's to cold and I want summer here again :rolleyes:

and i thought at work i was the only person thinking that today :rolleyes:

you know what they about about great minds.......

I read somewhere that once the nights start drawing in, in ernest, the sun sets 1minute later each day until the winter solstice.

I cannot wait to use my scope on some really dark skies, Im amazed at how 'light' it still remains and must admit Ive never really noticed it before now.

I cannot wait as well. I hate this time of year as it never really gets dark does it. Roll on those sub freezing nights and then I'll moan it's to cold and I want summer here again :rolleyes:

Thank goodness I'm not the only one who thinks this way.

I've tried taking the telescope out in the last few weeks and miss the dark sky...

The irony of it all is that during the lightest part of the year, there have been more clear nights in a row than there has ever been!

I can't stay up until 3am consecutively though...:)

I read somewhere that once the nights start drawing in, in ernest, the sun sets 1minute later each day until the winter solstice.

I think in September/October night increases by some 4 minutes a day... if you see what I mean.

Roll on the dark nights :rolleyes:

James

I think in September/October night increases by some 4 minutes a day... if you see what I mean.

Roll on the dark nights :rolleyes:

James

Crikey, didnt realise it was as much as that! Roll it on I say, Im itching to have a proper look at Orion with my new scope etc :)

mmmm, can't wait until M42 comes around again.. :)

Nadeem..

yup, I miss orion too, gonna miss saturn when that slips below the horizon.

This is my first year into this gig...when I started out I would never have thought that in June I would be looking forward to the end of summer :rolleyes:

Looking forward to some darker nights too, though I do enjoy sitting out on a nice mild night watching the stars of the summer triangle appearing. Was out tonight doing just that and saw a really bright meteor go by, Lovely.

the amount of time the sun sets earlier by each night isnt a constant. It varies sinusoidally. It will start small (like 1min/day) then increase to a maximum around the autumnal equinox, then slow down again, becoming 0 at the winter solstice

up here in central scotchland you cant really do any observing/LRGB imaging till early august. This might be mid-late july in middle england....

Archived