Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

New to the Hobby/Site: Need advice

Brett2c

Hello everyone!

I'm just getting back in this little hobby! I've started out with a Celestron Starhopper 6 with a variety of eyepieces. After some calibration the scope is working great. My only complaint is the mount.

Is there a motorized mount for a telescope like this?

Thanks in advance!

Brett C

hello Brett and welcome. The Celestron Starhopper is very similar to the Skywatcher Skyliner 150. I would recommend as a minium this mount Orion AstroView which is same as the Skywatcher EQ3-2 / Celestron CG4 and a better mount would be the Orion Skyview Pro mount. The Skyview Pro is the same mount as Skywatcher EQ5 / Celestron CG5 and can be motorised to give basic RA/DEC control or full goto as can the Astroview mount. The Skyview Pro can also be purchased as the Skyview Pro Goto which has the goto motors already fitted.

Peter

Hi Brett - I assume your scope is this one DISCONTINUED: StarHopper 6 Telescope (item #10600) / StarHopper Series Telescopes / Telescopes / Products / Celestron.com in which case its a Dobsonian style mount. Whiule lots of people like this style of mount for its simplicity some of (me included) just hate the hassle of having to push the scope around.

Yoo could mount the scope on an Equatorial style mount. I would sugget the minimum would be an EQ3-2 equivalent. But you;d need to buy a dovetail and some tube rings to make it work.

I suspect it might be almost as expensive as buying a new scope on the same mount like this one Reflectors - Skywatcher Explorer 150PL EQ3-2 and adding a motor for tracking. It might be cheaper in the long run than buying a dovetail, rings and a new mount.

Certainly there are options and you could find a mount 2nd hand and maybe even the tube rings and dovetail,

What is it exactly you dont like with the Dobsonian mount - having to find objects or having to push the scope to track stuff ?

Archived