Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Ive made my purchase......

Well thats it. After waiting and deliberating I have finally made my bed.

I have ordered the following as a little treat to myself as I am coming to the end of 10years of hard training.

So heres what Ive plumped for:

Skywatcher Explorer 250p ds on EQ6 Pro;

Revelation Photo / visual Eyepiece kit;

T ring adapter for my DSLR;

Baader MPCC Visual and Photographic Set;

Power Tank;

Making Every Photon Count;

Large dent in savings.

It should be delivered tomorrow courtesy of FLO. Id like to take this opportunity to say thanks for FLO in particular Martin who has had to put up with countless questions before making my purchase.

Im sooo excited I feel like a little kid at christmas, lol.

So heres hoping for clear skies!

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thats good to hear Mr Spock. It took me a while to plump for this, I did get an EQ5 about a year ago but it was faulty so sent it back and decided to save up for the better mount and scope and to try and future proof myself for a while.

Looking at all that spec. You've got yourself a fine astro imaging, and visual set up. You're mount is now a serious contender with other high end equatorial mounts.

And as you've probably seen on here, and on the net. The EQ6 Pro is more than capable for CCD imaging and auto guiding.

The Skywatcher 250P is also a very good choice. You've got light grasp, which is great for fuzzies, but it will also show good contrasty views of the Moon and planets.

I'm collecting a 10" Dob on Wednesday, and like you. I am very excited.

I think we should both send our apologies now, for any carpy weather that comes our way :)

You'll have a lot of fun and having 'mount overkill' is the way to go. I think you will be tempted to deepen the savings dent at some time to rig up an autoguider but that need not cost much. Any old naff scope from a clubmate's junk box, webcam and free software. No big deal and it makes all the difference in photography. But that can be down the road awhile or not at all if you stick to brighter targets.

I think there are a lot of big kids on this forum. I'm proud to be one of them!!

Best wishes

Olly

Very nice, EQ6 and DS 250P are on my list too so it will be very interesting to read about how you get on with it although I am one step ahead - I already bought Every Photon counts :)

Thanks guys. Its dues to delivery anytime soon. I can wait!!!

@Yeti Monster - something like that;

@pbyrne - Im really looking forward to what is revealed;

@thesatanbug - lol;

@PaulB - you just know there is gonna be a turn in the weather to spite us. Apologies to all for this, lol;

@Olly - I know what you mean. What I didn't want to do was buy a mount and then in 6months time need to get a beefier one so I thought Ill save up and get in at the top. I'm gonna give the AP ago and then start to look into auto guiding, Ive done some basic research and understand the principles and have a cheapy scope lying about which is half the kit needed;

@MarkF - That's not fair!! My book is being dispatched separately. I don't mind too much, it will take me a while to get to grips with setting the scope up and I'm happy to observe whilst I read and digest the book.

UPDATE:

Its all arrived safe and sound and all I can say is WOW. Its a monster of a stand and scope. Its all assembled all I need to do now is align the reticule and wait for some clear skies. I cant wait!

Would be very interested on how you find this scope on first few outings

Than once you got some imagery on the go, put a few up for us all to see.

I'm looking for new scope at the moment so I am very interested in your results.

Just thought I'd lead the dob mob charge. :D

I'm a newt man myself but in a more modest way. ;) The 250P is a bit of a beasty and it looks like you'll be needing a step ladder from the piccys I've seen of one. A very nice looking scope tho.

Congrats on your purchase. :D

Hey davy999, Ill be sure to keep you posted, once Ive sorted out the polar alignment issues and had some clear skies Ill be sure to write a report.

lol @ thesatanbug, ill duck and cover then. I must say when I got home yesterday and saw the box the 250 cam in I almost fell over. Ive had it on the mount and it is quite a beast. Luckily I have a step ladder handy which I use at Fairford!!

You should have bought a dob. :D

You know he's right, you are now fast on the slippery slope to imaging frustration obsession bankruptcy heaven with that setup :D

lol @ euan, Ive been down a similar road with photography several years ago so Im use to that!

thesatanbug, Ive been going to RIAT for several years now, absolutley love the hornets, although I think my fav is the Tornado. Hopefully this year they will have the F22 Raptors to make up for them not displaying two years ago when the tattoo was cancelled.

Archived