Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Protecting Earth [Milkyway]

Hi there,

I just found this great forum and want to show you a panorama of the milkyway, which I shot in my last holiday in the USA:

Protecting-the-Earth-near-Bodie.jpg

For a fullsize version please click the photo and then the Zoom Button on the left.

Would love to hear your thoughts and comments to my photo!

Thank you

Pascal

Thank you very much, happy that you like it :D!

Was amazed about how clear the sky was there, near Bodie. Even the small lights from the town could not really prevent the milky way from showing up that clear.

You would never see the milky way that bright in Germany anywhere :)

Pascal

Gorgeous widefield! Can you tell us the details of the image? EXIF? Lens?

Baz.

Hi Baz,

I used a Nikon D90 equipped with a Tokina 11-16mm.

11mm, f/2.8, ISO 3200, 25s exposure.

The image was made of 14 single pictures.

Hope that helps :)

Pascal

Hi Baz,

I used a Nikon D90 equipped with a Tokina 11-16mm.

11mm, f/2.8, ISO 3200, 25s exposure.

The image was made of 14 single pictures.

Hope that helps :)

Pascal

Thanks Pascal. Was that 14 images a stack or a stitch? I am assuming at 11mm, the widefield had no need to be stitched, so it was stacked?

Did you have any problem with field curvature at that focal length? At ISO 3200, did you use in camera noise reduction, or did you take darks and subtract?

This is just an awesome image!

Baz.

Pascal, what a beautiful image, thank you for showing us all it:)

Not sure if anyone else followed the link but on his site theres a section on "Timelapse Videos"...check out the Telescopes on La Palma one!!

I didnt know whether to watch the Stars up above or the Tornado in the clouds bellow!....One word.....Gobsmacked!:)

A galaxy rainbow

Yep that's what it is :D

Thanks Pascal. Was that 14 images a stack or a stitch? I am assuming at 11mm, the widefield had no need to be stitched, so it was stacked?

Did you have any problem with field curvature at that focal length? At ISO 3200, did you use in camera noise reduction, or did you take darks and subtract?

This is just an awesome image!

Baz.

No those images really were stitched, not stacked. 11mm is far not enough to get the milkyway all the way on the photo. I don't know the real directions anymore, but if we say that the left and of the arc is in east, then the right edn of the arc would be in west. So that picture covers at least 200° of horizontal view :headbang:

Unfortunately I had no knowledge about darkframes at the time I took the pictures, otherwhise I would have made some. But for this picture I did not use the camera internal NR, but a small programm called Noise Ninja which allows many settings to be made and so achieve a very good noise reduction.

Not sure if anyone else followed the link but on his site theres a section on "Timelapse Videos"...check out the Telescopes on La Palma one!!

I didnt know whether to watch the Stars up above or the Tornado in the clouds bellow!....One word.....Gobsmacked!:)

Thank you! I think I will publish the videos in an own thread, so that we can be sure nobody misses them :)

Thank you all for your nice comments!

Pascal

• 5 weeks later...

Archived