NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

kris h

Hi my is kris got into astronomy a few years ago not got a

scope yet savin up for one only got 15x70 binos ok for the moon

star clusters etc but lookin at the planets mars venus sat there just fuzzy dots so cant wait to the day i get my scope and look

at the wonders of the universe.

hi rich

i was lookin at m44 a couple weeks ago but didnt know what it

was but i got a stargazeing with binoculars book and found out

its called the beehive cluster the book also gives some good info like it was galileo

who was the first to see that it was a star cluster: prior to the invention of the telescope

Hi Kris h,

Welcome to the forum ;)

I'm also new like you and I haven't bought any kit as yet. For me its not only saving up (..as if that's not hard enough) it's also having a little knowledge to know what to spend it on. As a new person, my only advice is to listen to the experts on here - they do know their stuff. :D

If you can, get along to a star party where you'll see for yourself what your money will buy as there is a lot of choice out there and also to form some judgement as to what you might want to see, be it planets or deep sky objects (DSO's) or if you're like me, EVERYTHING ;):D.

I'm beginning to form a decision but I think I'm going to need some more help with choice of eyepieces. I'm going along to this forum's star party in Salibury (August) to hopefully meet up with some of these great people here and to get some viewing experience to help me finally decide.

Best of luck and clear skies.:)

James

Welcome to a great forum Kris.

I'm just starting out and find this forum excellent. Or very very bad: I spend too much time looking at the discussions ;)

All I can say is don't even think about giving up on the binos - I take mine out with their tripod every time and couldn't find a thing without them. I search for "targets" with the bino's, rush indoors to look at Stellarium then in and out until I know where I am.

Should I get a GoTo system? NO. I'm old fashioned and want to learn the sky. I in a few years, I might know my way around :D. But in the meantime, I keep stumbling across the most awe-inspiring sights that have no name, no "value" except the most priceless of all - they are just stunning.

what ever you decide, just enjoy. Its fascinating, beautiful and just plain old fashioned fun :)

Hi every one.

I'm a new member my friend showed me this forum and i loved the pics and blogs people have been putting on.

I have got myself a scope (mead70AZ-AR) and ready to put it into the night sky can any one give me any beginners tips or advise to on what is best to first obsevre. Keep up the good work everyone.

Hi Kris,

Welcome, it's a fascinatin g hobby! To respond to the string about eyepieces, I have written an article on 'eyepieces for beginners' at Swindonstargazers.com on the 'Beginners' link if anyone is interested, also an article on telescopes if that helps.

Archived