Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Wetherview DIY obsy build begins

pritc

Wow...this project is looking awesome. I reckon if I ever get to make myself an obsy, I'll becoming back to this thread for ideas.

Looking really professional!

Hey, you couldn't get your wife to have a word to mine could you?

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi All,:D

Progress update

Photo 1 : T&G floor layed for measuring up.;)

Photo 2 : Obs side framework temporarily in situe to square up floor for cutting. (and get a feel for the size :D)

Photo 3 : Warm room studwork measuring up,to cut flooring to size.

Photo 4 : All T&G flooring painted in trusty creosote to protect it from the elements during build time.:(

I plan to line the floor with a thin layer of plywood before laying carpet tiles.

Next up :T&G floor fixing to floor beams

Wayne

P.S After I had layed the flooring,the wife came up and said "that would be a lovely area for a patio set" !!!!

I just gave her one of my disgust looks..........

post-18037-133877451467_thumb.jpg

post-18037-133877451475_thumb.jpg

post-18037-133877451483_thumb.jpg

post-18037-133877451491_thumb.jpg

Looking very well made witha huge warm room, mines tiny.

What size white pipe did you use? I used the smaller one but wished I'd used the next size up as it gets a bit tight when there's a few cables in in there for getting a usb round the bend.

Looking very well made witha huge warm room, mines tiny.

What size white pipe did you use? I used the smaller one but wished I'd used the next size up as it gets a bit tight when there's a few cables in in there for getting a usb round the bend.

I used 43mm solvent weld pipe from wickes.

I had purchased 20mm electrical conduit first, (the one I used for the power to pier pipe) But then thought about the USB ends and the fact that I will probably have to use powered usb repeater cables because of the length of run. :D

I am so glad I had not concreted that into the pier foundation without thinking. :D

Wayne

I used 40mm solvent weld pipe from wickes.

I had purchased 20mm electrical conduit first, (the one I used for the power to pier pipe) But then thought about the USB ends and the fact that I will probably have to use powered usb repeater cables because of the length of run. :D

I am so glad I had not concreted that into the pier foundation without thinking. :D

Wayne

Wished I'd used bigger, mines actually cast inside the concrete pier, first pull thru with a serial cable put paid to that...and like an idiot I kept pulling and that was the end of the internal conduit.

Hi to All,:D

I have not posted any pics for a week :(. Been busy making and painting stud framework. Anyway here are a few :D

Photo 1 : As I said in a previous post. A layer of DPM was layed and stapled onto the floor beams to try to stop damp as much as possible.

Photo 2 : T&G Flooring all nailed down and another trusty coat of creosote was added. Edges of DPM stapled to the underside of flooring.;)

Photo 3,4 : After creosote had dried, the Obs framework was fixed together,squared up and finally screwed down in its final position.

Next project: R.O.R framework ;)

Wayne

post-18037-133877453328_thumb.jpg

post-18037-133877453335_thumb.jpg

post-18037-133877453343_thumb.jpg

post-18037-133877453351_thumb.jpg

Good point yesyes.

if i may advise putting some damp proffing in that area also as it could be an issue between the fence and the observatory.

Also it might be worth sticking some guttering to feed any excess rain water etc out of the gap.

I'd give the fence behind the obs a good paint job before going further with the obs walls. That fence will be hard to reach later... ;-)

LOL :D

I wondered when someone would notice the fences....

They are rotten at the bottom and will be replaced.

I am 6ft 4 and can quite easily slide the fence panels out of the concrete posts.

We have a entry walkway behind the fence,so easy access from that.

Wayne

Good point yesyes.

if i may advise putting some damp proffing in that area also as it could be an issue between the fence and the observatory.

Also it might be worth sticking some guttering to feed any excess rain water etc out of the gap.

I plan to staple a polythene vapour barrier along the back of the obs and warm room nearest the fence before attaching the cladding.I also plan to install guttering along the front and rear.

Just a check - If you're using real creosote - is it OK with the plastic DMP? May be worth checking there is no reaction. If using creosote substitute you will probably be OK.

Hi Bizibilder,:D

It is creosote substitute.

Plastic DPM is OK.

Wayne

Real creosote was banned years ago as a cancergen.

I did wonder why they banned it, I just thought it must have been an environmental issue, every day's a school day they say.

But, the traditional creosote smelled amazing didn't it..... lol

Gary

I did wonder why they banned it, I just thought it must have been an environmental issue, every day's a school day they say.

Gary

Creosote substitute still smells the same Gary....:D

Wayne

mmmmm, nice!

Oh, and the obsy is coming along nicely Wayne. You really are putting in the work there.

Gary

Cheers Gary :D

At the moment, I am working on it every afternoon as soon as I get back from work,

(the perk of starting at 5am) and weekends:evil6:

(weather permitting:mad:)

(Gets me out of the house from under the wife's feet)

Wayne

It's really coming along nicely. Looks like this is going to be a lovely obsy. I'll be taking quite a few ideas from your project when I build my own obs.

What scope are you going to use in there? The walls look to be rather high...

From what I know, with a newtonian you either need rather low walls or a ladder to get to the eyepiece...

Gary

There used to be a commercial wooden fence maker near my grans when I was a kid, they had these huge dipping tanks and you could smell the creosote for miles.......I just love the smell :D

Archived