Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Wetherview DIY obsy build begins

pritc

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Wayne

Well done! What an amazing obsy.You have inspired us with your fantastic project and helped us make the decision to build our own R.O.R very soon ...like starting tomorrow if I had my way.

It is a beautiful obs and a real credit to you and all your hard work. Thank you for sharing your build with us.

We hope you have many many years of viewing and wish you clear skies

Trish & Colin

• 4 months later...

Wayne,

Can you post up some measurements for me.

Basically the height of the walls, height of the pier (to the head where the mount sits) and approx what angle you get for viewing

post-23388-133877605509_thumb.jpg

Wayne,

Can you post up some measurements for me.

Basically the height of the walls, height of the pier (to the head where the mount sits) and approx what angle you get for viewing

Hi Malcolm, :eek:

Most answers are on this previous post:

http://stargazerslounge.com/1450597-post51.html

My pier is 1060mm high from the floor.

BUT this is tailored for me........

I am 6ft 4in tall,and did not want to spend all night stooped over looking in the eyepiece.

Most people,including myself worked out the height of the pier by setting up their telescope/mount/tripod at the pier location.

It will give you a insight as to what views you can expect.

Then you can measure up to the top of the tripod/base of your mount.But you will need to subtract the height of whatever pier adaptor you are going to use to give you the height of the pier.

Wayne

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

UPDATE......

After purchasing a Canon 1100D,I decided to upgrade my Obs/warm room door to have a viewing window.

Now I can check the scope slewing whlist on the laptop with Stellarium & Canon EOS Utility running

Bid & won a brand new 450mm x 750mm double glazed unit on E-Bay for a massive sum of £5 :rolleyes:

Cut a big hole in the top half of the door to accommerdate the unit.Then secured in place with few bits of off cuts I still had from the build.

Now I can see my scope and still retain good insulation in my warm room:).

Now to save my pennies to upgrade my mount to a HEQ5....

Wayne

post-18037-133877651767_thumb.jpg

post-18037-133877651775_thumb.jpg

post-18037-133877651786_thumb.jpg

Result on the sealed unit and looks good.... but it now gives away all your secrets :)

It's a lot better than taking a flask of tea with me to the bottom of the garden :rolleyes:

Malcolm,

Is the HEQ5 mount fixing the same as a EQ5??

I know the EQ6 is different.

Just checking it will fit my pier adaptor without mods before I order one.....;)

Wayne

It's always nice to watch which way your cables tangle. :rolleyes: Good modification.

Oh yes!!

It always nice to see which route the mount takes to try and churn up your cabling.... Spaghetti on a fork comes to mind....:)

Wayne

Malcolm,

Is the HEQ5 mount fixing the same as a EQ5??

I know the EQ6 is different.

Just checking it will fit my pier adaptor without mods before I order one.....:rolleyes:

Wayne

Yes, there was no need to modify the adapter as they are identical fittings. The EQ6 though is different though.

Whilst I like my EQ5, the HEQ5 does make a huge difference, and is well worth the upgrade cost, new or secondhand. The mount is so sold and a lot quieter when slewing, not that the EQ5 in noisy

Yes, there was no need to modify the adapter as they are identical fittings. The EQ6 though is different though.

Whilst I like my EQ5, the HEQ5 does make a huge difference, and is well worth the upgrade cost, new or secondhand. The mount is so sold and a lot quieter when slewing, not that the EQ5 in noisy

Thanks Malcolm, :rolleyes::icon_salut:

Just getting a bit concerned about the extra weight being added to my EQ5 mount.With the 200P it is already at max weight

And if I get hooked on astrophotography then guidescope,etc will be on my to purchase list = MORE weight.....

Wayne

Thanks Malcolm, :rolleyes::icon_salut:

You're welcome

Just getting a bit concerned about the extra weight being added to my EQ5 mount.With the 200P it is already at max weight

And if I get hooked on astrophotography then guidescope,etc will be on my to purchase list = MORE weight.....

Wayne

My thoughts exactly... which is why I upgraded last weekend

heq5.jpg

Forgot to add... it's as solid as a rock :)

My thoughts exactly... which is why I upgraded last weekend

WOW!! nice set up

And a ST80 guidescope :rolleyes::eek:

I have to try and visit this forum more often.....

(just too busy with work)

Gotta play catch up.........:)

Going to try & sell my SW130PM with a few extras and my EQ5 Goto mount to help recoup some funds from the HEQ5 PRO SynScan GOTO purchase.;)

Wayne

• 3 weeks later...

Nice thread! My wife, after seeing how much effort it takes to prepare the C11 for viewing, loast night said that I could build an ob in the garden! :) I think this thread might become my reference point. Mind you, she has made one proviso, she'd like it to look like a summer house! (why go I feel she has an ulterior motive?!)

Nice thread! My wife, after seeing how much effort it takes to prepare the C11 for viewing, loast night said that I could build an ob in the garden! :) I think this thread might become my reference point. Mind you, she has made one proviso, she'd like it to look like a summer house! (why go I feel she has an ulterior motive?!)

:):D:D:D

Don't forget when you start your build,start a thread.

And photo's,lots of photo's!! We love build photo's :(

Wayne

:):D:D:D

Don't forget when you start your build,start a thread.

And photo's,lots of photo's!! We love build photo's :(

Wayne

Yes, It's easy to forget to take photos with the enthusiasm to get the job done. I have to admit to suffering a bit from that :)

As much as I'd love to crack on with gettting something built, I think it might have to wait until the new year. We have rather a large building project this year, the tail end of which I'm still working on (we had the roof taken off the property, three bedrooms and two bathrooms built, plus kitchen extension and a new study built!)

However, rest assured, when I start, there will be lots of photos. I tool plenty when I built our deck, which was a rather big project - about 1 mile of timber, 6000 screws, 5 tonnes of MOT, several tonnes of shingle, etc..... We've just used about 12 litres of decking oil to treat it this summer.

Archived