• Created
  • Last Reply

What a BEAST!!

I love it when:

EQ tool box: Connected :glasses2:

EQMOD:Port found :rolleyes:

StellariumScope:Scope connected ;)

Stellarium: Scope slews :(

Malcolm, you are quite right about noise......;)

A purr..... rather than a whirr....:)

Wayne

post-18037-133877664165_thumb.jpg

Noticed you have a super long coiled cable from the focuser... must change mine

Looks good on the mount... how's the height, irrelevant if imaging, but probably like me, need something a few inches high to step on to do visual when the scope is pointing straight up !

Yeah love the sound these make, especially when tracking, sorta soft rhythmic squelching :glasses2:

Noticed you have a super long coiled cable from the focuser... must change mine

Looks good on the mount... how's the height, irrelevant if imaging, but probably like me, need something a few inches high to step on to do visual when the scope is pointing straight up !

I am 6'4",Malcolm:eek:

Never had a problem viewing the Zenith with the EQ5.

The HEQ5 has added a couple of inches.

Might actually get to use my little white step I purchased and never used for zenith viewing.

It sits in the corner of my Obs.Makes a great shelf for End scope covers,etc......:glasses2:

Got the focuser lead after the thread I posted.Works great:D

eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace

A lot better than the supplied short lead that snagged every time the scope slewed:mad:

Wayne

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All,:mad:

My poor old (ancient T41 IBM thinkpad) 'astro only' laptop is struggling with all my programs running at once(EQMOD,stellascope,stellarium,PHD etc)....:(

It kept freezing......

So I have had to invest in a refurbished Dell tower/LCD monitor setup. :)

Also purchased a logic3 game controller to control slewing with EQMOD at the scope...:)

Works great!!

Just got to remember which buttons do what...:o

While I was at it,I ordered some CAT5 OUTDOOR network cable.

I now have the internet in my warm room...:D

So while I'm imaging, I can now trawl SGL...:rolleyes:

SWMBO is never going to see me.....;):evil6::o

With the 200P,Camera,Guide scope, etc.I was just slightly off getting perfect balance.

So I have also had to order the Astro engineering extra long balance shaft:

Astro Engineering AC686 replacement extra-long counter-balance shaft for HEQ5 & 6 Sky Watcher Mount

Wayne

post-18037-133877675538_thumb.jpg

post-18037-133877675551_thumb.jpg

post-18037-133877675558_thumb.jpg

It's nice to treat ourselves once in a while. :rolleyes: I'm hoping for a new CCD by Christmas.

The network cable was a treat. ;)

The rest was a necessity to get up and running again....:mad:

Next treat will be a HitecAstro DC Focus Motor Controller.:o

Wayne

Wayne,

Network access was a prerequisite when I built mine.. it is really handy being able to put a post on the forum when you're having issues and get a response in real time... and if like me you get the full speed (20MB in my case) then watching sky at night on the iplayer whilst imaging is a bonus :rolleyes:

I've just ordered a second (24") monitor for my "mission control" (as the other half calls it) so I can have APT and PHD running on one screen, with CdC, focusing software, EQMod running on the other, Just need to install a 500w heater and then I'm set for those long winter nights ;)

Oh anf the Hitech Astro focuser controller is a must... saves opening the door and letting the cold in :o

Wayne,

I've just ordered a second (24") monitor for my "mission control" (as the other half calls it) so I can have APT and PHD running on one screen, with CdC, focusing software, EQMod running on the other, Just need to install a 500w heater and then I'm set for those long winter nights ;)

I do have a second LCD monitor that I use for dual screen viewing with my laptop.(Better DPI)

Now you have put 'Mission Control' in my head...:rolleyes:

It might make it's way into the warm room:D

Am I correct in thinking the Hitech Astro focuser controller requires a seperate 12V power supply??

Wayne

Malcolm..

Is the network cable running from your house to the obsy. I was hoping my wireless set up would suffice .

Yes it is. Working in IT I almost have as many switches at home as I have at work ;) The cable comes out of the house, under the gate (in a tube sunk in concrete) then run along the side of the fence up to the observatory. My Wireless netbook is just borderline at the top of the garden, so it had to be hardwired. It's only a 100MB network, but it's well up to the job, and for transferring all the raw images to the main PC (a lot more powerful than the obsy PC) for processing it works well.

Like I said, I can stream video from the iplayer etc quite comfortably, so I guess there's no need to upgrade the link to a gig network :rolleyes:

Tony, Not sure if Wayne agrees, but one thing I discovered is that I could do with more electrical points than I originally thought. As I've wired them on a ring I can at least take three spurs of existing sockets, which will be better than using 4 way ext block. It's all the small things like camera battery chargers and 12v psu's for LED lighting etc that I overlooked.

Wayne... what's the wattage of those speakers - Bet the neighbors love you thumping out the windows closure jingle at 3am :)

:rolleyes::evil6:;):evil6:

They are turned down low......

Not quite a 5.1 surround sound with bass speaker booming out the EQMOD "PARKED"

:o:eek::mad::eek:

Wayne

Archived