Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Im the noob now !!

skywatcher250

hi all - this is me....

just bought my 1st scope (instead of a beginner one i took advice from a few suppliers and online shops and purchased a skywater200 eq5) it hasnt arrived yet - have to wait another few days for delivery.

ive always been very much into the stars but have never ever looked through a scope- so i am very much excited and wait in anticipation to start using it. Due to my budget of about 400 i decided to a get a better scope and not the autoscan system - i am told i can add this on at a later date for about 200 - so im happy for now to point and look lol !

nice to meet you all - i look forward to eventually hooking up a nikon camera (also not yet purchased) and sharing some pics. but for now... hello and i have purchased the astronomy for dummies book and hope i can start from somewhere basic (at least i know where the moon is)

can anyone recommend any websites or threads within stargazerslounge where i can read up on the location and time of planets on a weekly / monthly basis ?

Si

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome to SGL!

Here are some resources that been a great aid to me since I started last September:

Star wheel

Messier objects locating charts by constellation

Book on the best 110 NGCs with locationg charts

Lunar 100 Map and list

On Stellarium, the latest version sometimes causes problems with some graphics cards. The older versions are just as good, try to download an older version and see if the problem is sorted.

hi guys thanks so much - cant wait to get it - also thanks for the helpful links, the only downside i have is we have a lot of lights in our area, to escape this i am going to a local field - however this is the down side - i have to drive there - can scopes be carried in cars easily enough and also will i need to reallign it every time ? - bit of a shame - im trying to force our neighbours to turn the lights down lol!

A reflector may need a tweak after transport to make sure the mirrors are aligned (process is called collimation, here's a tutorial). Depends how bumpy is the road, maybe it will arrive just fine.

Collimation is a bit tricky the 1st times, but then it becomes easy.

Hi skywatcher, welcome to the forum, as a newbie myself made my choice with a 200p dob, 99.99999999% satisfied, will be interested to see how you go with yours with a different mounting and hope you get to grips with it, have a look see at astro-babys intro for your equipment worth a read, just let us know how it goes when the skies are clear, don't worry you me and a few others are too blame, I had a false first light last night, only available object was the moon, but I had to have a look, views i've never seen on photos, enjoy, it will be brill.

all the best

Phil

Archived